Another Team Ety member!
Mar 12, 2002 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

BDA_ABAT

1000+ Head-Fier
Just received Ety ER4P from Headroom. Also received the adapter cable from Xin Feng to mimic the qualities of the ER4S. My first listening session took place after only 3 hours of burn-in. But here are my initial impressions of the sound.

Source: PCD.. Panasonic SL-SX 285 +JMT amp

Music: Pete Townshend: Lifehouse; Pink Floyd: Animals, Miles Davis: Kind of Blue, Genesis: Seconds Out (live). The notes below are just from Miles and Pink Floyd.

First impression ER4P... I spent how much for these!?!?!?!?!

After listening a bit more, my initial reaction proved to be totally incorrect... probably because I didn't have a good seal. Once the seal was adequate, things changed. What was heard was clean, clear and straightforward music. No coloration was apparent. Seemed as if the headphones were just giving to my ears what the CD and source had to offer without adding/boosting/changing any of the content. They have a wide dynamic range and were consistent with all disks... just seemed to push the music into your brain.

After getting used to the fit and sound character of the ER4P, I added the adapter cable.

4S initial impression... WOW!!! I don't understand how adding some impedance could positively affect the quality of the sound, but it does. The character of the sound is similar to the 4P, but the highs are more pronounced but not sibilant. They're just so... nice!

Pink Floyd, Dogs
4S: Wonderful balance of the accoustic guitars with the synths and electric guitars. Clean, clear, with definate punch and feel. Exceptional midrange and upper mid. The JMT was definately needed. Everything just works so well!

4P: The sound seems very similar, just slightly different emphasis. Bass is a bit more pronounced, the highs slightly less sharp and present. The accoustic guitars seem to be just a shade different compared to the 4S. Very nice, but different. Drums are a bit more present than with the 4S. There's definate punch. Easily powered by the little Panasonic, but I kept the JMT in place for the comparisson. Altogether a very nice sound that would seem to lend itself well to rock.

Miles, Freddie Freeloader
4S: Amazingly present sound. Close your eyes and you can easily imagine being in a club or in the studio with the musicians. The detail and clarity are exceptional. Again, great balance of sound... the contrast of the bass line against the starkness of Miles horn is just wonderful. The horn is bright but not harsh. The percussion is sharp and quick... cymbals and high hats sound just right...like you're there. The sax just flows up and down with punch and presence. Again, not harsh or sibilant. Just NIIIIICCCEE.....

4P: Bass seems slightly more pronounced. Miles horn sings! Coltrane's sax is so smooth. There's a warmth that is present with the 4P that isn't as prominent with the 4S.

One problem with the comparison on my setup is that the flaws of my PCD are more evident with the 4S than the 4P. On Miles Blue in Green, the passage is slow and drawls along wonderfully. But the hiss from my CD player was noticable. Much less prominent than with the 4P. Time to upgrade the source!

Overall impression: money well spent. The detail, clarity, purity of the music is just phenomenal. Although I like the sound from the straight 4P, I seem to be leaving the adapter cable hooked up without consciously meaning to. I'm very much going to enjoy these cans. And I'm very thankfull to be getting off the headphone upgrade train.

Bruce

Mar 13, 2002 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 12
Welcome to Head-fi and to Team Ety. I hope your wallet has adaquate funds in it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I too use the Ety 4P w/ 4S adapter cable and a JMT CHA 47 and a Sony D-25S. I don't hear any hiss from the pcdp with this setup. Anyway, the pcdp and JMT amp setup is perfect for portable situations and I plan on using it at home as well until I have enough money for a new source and stationary amp.

Might I ask what mini mini cable you're using to connect the amp to the pcdp?

Mar 13, 2002 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 12
Mini to mini cable: Radio Shack.

Yes, my headphones have surpassed EVERY other component in the system. Like I said, time to upgrade!

In the meantime, I'm truly enjoying the experience.

Bruce

Mar 13, 2002 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 12
Congratulations on the Etys, Bruce. I'm glad you're enjoying them........they are indeed amazing 'phones. It's like the music is being played inside you. I think we are witnessing an Ety revival on the boards, and rightfully so. I can't help but think back to the word I used when I first got my Etys awhile ago: INCREDIBLE!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2002 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 12
WOo! Go Etys!

But seriously, I think it's remarkable that the Etys and Senn hd600s (another headphone that I will get someday after I upgrade my source and amp to a home setup) are being compared to the at w2002 when they're much much more inexpensive. woO!

Oh and BDA, I would seriously recommend upgrading your mini mini cable to one from markertek. Go to http://www.markertek.com and order the balanced stereo mini mini cable. It's not that much more expensive than the radio shack one and sounds infinitely better, according to many on this board. I have that mini mini and the Kimber 1 ft mini mini from Headroom. I think the Kimber sounds better than the markertek and the Radio Shack one but it's much more expensive. The markertek would definitely be the best bang for the buck.

Mar 13, 2002 at 1:35 PM Post #6 of 12
Welcome to the little (but strong) Ety Team. Have you tried to put some cream on to it? I found it improves the high frequency and the sealing is enhanced as well.

Mar 13, 2002 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 12
I've definately gotten more used to getting a proper seal with the Etys. Just documented my initial reaction as being partly due to:

a.) not being used to the Ety sound (especially after having Grados in my ears for the past couple months)
b.) not getting the FULL Ety sound because of proper placement/seal issues.

Yes, some moisture does help establish a good seal. I guess I'm fortunate to have ears that are well suited for the canalphone. I didn't experience any pain on insertion and have been able to get proper seal just about every time. Have been able to comfortably listen for 2 hours at one sitting so far.

RE: cable upgrade: Thanks for the recommendation! Will definately have to check it out. But I think my limited funds will be saved up for a better source first, cable next. I can definately hear some hiss and some rotor noise from the CD player. If anyone has suggestions for a good quality but reasonably priced PCD, I'd appreciate it.

Note: definition of reasonably priced is in the < $150 range.... under the wife radar. My wife is a wonderful woman whom I love dearly. But, she has absolutely NO understanding of my interest in music (and toys). She just can't understand (read, she's totally incredulous!) why I have kept buying headphones. She looks at the cans that came with the PCD, the generic earbuds that came with our laptop (I told you she didn't understand!), the Koss Plugs, the Sony 888s, the Grado 125, the Ety ER6, and finally the Ety ER4P plus the JMT and is seriously wondering where my mind has gone. Well, I'm wondering that myself, but for different reasons. I KNEW I should have just plunked down the cash to get the Ety 4P initially. But the $300 cost was over the wife radar detection threshold. So, instead, I bought over $650 worth of headphones to finally get to the ER4. Ugghhh!!!! Live and learn.

Other note: With these cans, I find myself looking for opportunities to listen, even for 5-10 minutes, that I never did before. I used to have to sort of prepare myself for a listening session... Not anymore! Got a little fix of Miles before heading off to work today. I'm a VERY happy camper right now!

Bruce

Mar 13, 2002 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for the suggestion and the link, FlurkingShnit. Just ordered the Markertek cable. Hope the cable will help with the buzz and noise from the source.

Man is this place dangerous!!!

Bruce

Mar 13, 2002 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 12
If you're looking for a good source for stationary use, many people here will suggest the Sony D-25S. It's actually a pcdp, but I think it's got the best sounding line out of any pcdp I've ever used and it falls under your budget. You can go to http://www.ebay.com and do a search for it and find it. A company called Silicon Salvage is auctioning them off and if you it the buy it now button you can get it for $45.

Mar 13, 2002 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 12
Thanks for the recommendation and I may have to order one for stationary use. Do you happen to know if that model comes with a wall wart??? Am also looking for something that was more portable... I tend to wander a bit while listening.

NOTE: Totally disconcerting to be strolling in the house and suddenly have my wife's face appear in front of mine. The isolation is terrific, but you have to be prepared for some interesting moments.

Recently I've started listening with headphones while cooking! Seems odd, but to me it's a practical solution... I get most of the cooking done during my son's nap time on weekends. Can't have the home speaker system going (at least to a level that I would like) while he's asleep. Also have few opportunities to sit down and enjoy music with a 2 year old around (well, there's frequently SOME music playing around the house, but it's generally Blues Clues or Sesame Street!). So, why not combine the two?! It's weird at first, but I've been adapting. Cooking without the usual auditory clues can be challenging.

Any other suggestions for a portable source would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Bruce

Mar 13, 2002 at 7:59 PM Post #11 of 12
Actually, the D-25S doesn't come with a wall wart. You'd have to go to Radio Shack and buy the 9v 800 mA rated one. That runs about 13.99 and you get a free adapter tip. Be sure to get the "M" adapter tip with the wall wart.

Mar 13, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #12 of 12
Etys rule! Now if my effin Grado 325s would hurry up and come in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back