Another Suggestion Thread
Oct 9, 2010 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

macro

Head-Fier
So I'm in the market for my first set of decent closed headphones for hip hop, reggae, and some electronic and rock music. Up to this point I've only been using the OEM in-ear iPod plugs. Ideally I'd like to spend under $100, but it's not set in stone. No amp, I'll plug them straight into my MacBook Pro or iPod. Sound quality and durability are my main concerns. Comfort and portability are a plus, but not a necessity.

Please bear with me; I'm pretty new to all this audiophile jargon (feel free to correct me)... I want a very wide frequency rage (mainly the lows) and the most accurate reproduction I can find in this price range. I want something colorless, but if I had to choose I'm slightly partial to bass as long as it's not overwhelming. I like the long low notes (ex Three 6 Mafia - Late Night Tip), not so much the short rapid bass hits like in dance music and a lot of electronic music.

I'm currently considering Audio-Technica M50's. Do you think this would be a good choice for me? What are some others worth considering? I live in a fairly small city. There are no good places to go try them out before I order them, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Side note: Also could someone please direct me to a place where some of the terminology is defined? Things like boomy/punchy/tight bass, 'warm' sound, soundstage etc. It'd help me a lot in deciphering the reviews. I know what I like to hear, I just have trouble wrapping words around it. Scratch that, I found the glossary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back