Another Suggestion Thread: Ideal Closed-back cans under 500$?
Dec 26, 2016 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jfettlol

New Head-Fier
As this is my first post, and I'm relegated to this section, why not post the question I originally joined this board for? After ghosting for months, researching for weeks, and ultimately, coming up with absolutely zero direction, I will leave it up to you guys to steer me in the direction I need to be. I currently own ath-m50x's, and a pair of dt-880pros (250ohm), a FiiO x5 2nd gen, and a FiiO a5. I use all sorts of files, really getting into DSD type stuff, (.dff and .dsf) and I find the dt-880's amazing for orchestral and the like. Really have no need to expand there, until I get a decent set of closed-back headphones. Now, I want what most want, the widest soundstage, excellent low end, great mids and good to great highs, in a sub $500 range. I can lean a few hundred in either direction, but trying to keep the cost below $500 unless a ~$700 pair of closed-backs are leaps and bounds higher. 

I really have gotten so confused, so here are the ones I've read about so far:

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog
Fostex t50rp mk3 (confused as to why the AD's are so much more for the same driver, i think?)
BD dt 1770 pro ( I see these new, for around $430 now since the rattling issues are so abundant)
Fostex TH-600
BD T70
Fostex - TH X00 (which I'm the least fond of)
Meze 99 classics

Now, I know I am all over the place, but I do plan on getting a Chord Mojo eventually. I also understand that with closed-back I am limited but my main genres are Rock/Classic Rock/Acoustic but I would hope Orchestras would not sound completely like crap. (also edm and hiphop but that's honestly the least important)

Should I get a proper set of open-back first? (I mean, for price, the dt 880's are great, but $5-700 can really get me a super pair of open's) I would splurge on Audeze lcd 2's, but the weight scares me, or even a Koss Electrostatic. 

Obviously you can see I'm all over the place, I need help! Oh and I'm also open to RazorDog used as well.

also, for S&G's best deep, dark, comfortable Closed for around $1k, and best open, wide, neutral aka accurate, comfy for $1k? (lcd2's don't place in either category, get it?, I can try them locally, but I'm not really buyin that snake-oil)

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 5
LCD 2 is great. But for some bass is bit lacking and as you said weight maybe an issue. I would also recommend you looking at ATH-A900x they also excel at bass. These are my closed-back cans suggestions.

Shure SRH 1540 and HD800 are my picks for open back headphones. These are often used by studio junkies and are flat response.

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 5
I would recommend looking on the BST for some good closed cans for cheap. I've seen some modded lawton d5000's and normal denon d7000's for $500. You can pick up some nice ultrasone edition 8's for that price. I believe I saw some alpha dogs on their for $350 a little while ago. 

Just from the above I would probably recommend one of the modded fostex cans. Maybe the Alpha dogs, or ZMF vibro, or even some Thunderpants if you can find them. Although the  Thx00 are pretty darn good for the price as well. I would put those closer to the top of your list. 

Dec 27, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 5
For what you've described and based on my experience, the Audio-Technica ATH-W5000 would be perfect. Fantastic sound stage, great detail retrieval, absolutely wonderful mids and high-end, does great with all the genres you've described, etc. For an open can, I'd suggest the Koss ESP/950. If you have any more directed/detailed questions I'd be happy to answer where I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back