Another speakers thread...
Apr 3, 2011 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

troy1008

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased the Marantz CD 5004, which I proceeded to blow the fuse on 
redface.gif
, while that's being fixed I thought I'd start looking for my next purchase.
I mostly listen to my music on my headphones so I don't plan on spending a lot on speakers, was thinking $500 tops. They are for my bedroom, which is about 3x3 meters. I was at first imagining floor standing speakers but looking around the site it seems that bookshelf are much better value for money. Also would you recommend an amp for my situation.
Thank you. 

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #3 of 6
I would get the Marantz pm 5004 since it should pair good with your cdp. As far the bookshelves vs. floor standers topic concerns, in a 3x3 room bookshelves are simply the most practical. IMO floor standing speakers are better  but that entirely depends on the type of speaker. I would buy some B&W bookshelves. B&W makes very enjoyable speakers which anyone could appreciate so no nasty surprises when you take your first listen, still a bit overpriced if you ask me. Personally I like ELAC better, they are more cold sounding, tight bass and a flat frequency response in the mids and highs (harsh to the layman but in fact neutral, ear piercing at high volumes though). If you really want to blow the roof off you could consider the Marantz pm7004 + ELAC FS67.2. These floor standing speakers are very, very good IMO, nice soundstage. Moreover they are more or less indestructible, as ELAC claims: "our speakers don't break". Their manual warns that the speakers could theoretical (they don't know an example) catch on fire when "extremely overloaded".
What headphones do you have btw, what kind of music do you listen to and what are your musical preferences?

May 11, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the great reply mcmalden, sorry for my late one. 
Have decided to go with bookshelves, as you said far more practical for my situation. Like the look of the Elac's, but I bit expensive for me currently. I'm considering SVS SBS02, do you have an opinion on them? I listen to a variety of music, Jazz, Hip-Hop and Rock being the main genres.

May 24, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 6
I never heard of sbs. Though the specs of these SVS SBS02's seem to be pretty good. The frequency response is a bit bumpy, but still relatively flat. Off axes frequency response isn't very good though so positioning is crucial. Moreover, there won't be a lot of bass, -6dB @ 58dB.

I think these speakers will sound best powered by tubes if you have the opportunity to get a tube amp. Nevertheless I think you will be enjoying these speakers anyhow. With all audio equipment it takes some time to get used to the sound.

You could also take a look at the monitor audio rx1's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back