Another Speaker Recommendation.
Nov 26, 2009 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

cuba0555

100+ Head-Fier
I just wanted to know what tower and bookshelf speakers and receiver I should get from Best Buy. Why Best Buy well that's because I work there and the discounts I get with the employ accommodations program are no joke. So I was wondering what the best recommendation you guys and girls can give. I want a tower system for the living room and a small bookshelf system for my room. Christmas just around the corner and want to surprise the family.
wink_face.gif

Thanks in advance!

Nov 26, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 13
Um... do you have an inventory list? We aren't going to go run over to Best Buy and shop for you.

Nov 26, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 13
Just an idea the MartinLogan - Preface 6-1/2" 2-Way Floor standing Speaker that I can get for less than half the price same goes for most speakers. My budget is anywhere from 2000$ to 2500$ on a complete system. The guys at work just keep pushing the Vienna Acoustics speakers on me so I thought what you guys here might think. Go with the Polk, MartinLogan, Vienna Acoustics, Definitive Technology, Klipsch speakers.

Nov 27, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #7 of 13
The Martin Logan Source or Vantage. Everything else in your stock blows. Including all the bookshelves you have available. The best bookshelf, if you had to choose, I would say are the Polk Audio RTiA3.

But that's excluding Vienna Acoustics because I have no experience with them.

Nov 27, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #8 of 13
Martin logan speakers are special and you need to listen them before buying (like any hardware, ideally) some hate them but some love them.

Also obviously take in consideration the room and the furnitures,size,wall material etc... its very important for speakers.

Nov 27, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 13
If you shoot for the Martin Logan, make sure you have an amplifier with really good current control. Like Adcom, Rotel, B&K, etc.

Dec 1, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #10 of 13
The Vienna acoustics are excellent, maybe not the most versatile out there, but not any less versatile than the planar MartinLogans. I have listened extensively to a lot of VA's, and they are very refined and smooth. The biggest knock on them is the price (not the best value) but perhaps your discount would change that.

Dec 1, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #11 of 13
I used to have high end audio (Mark Levinson). But because of moving, etc. now I only have mid-fi level equipment (Parasound). In my experience the high end audio shops usually will have something cheaper and much better than you can find at Best Buy, etc. Also they may have some used audio that is great. They will usually not get anything but high quality used stuff. You can always go and see what they have.

If that is not an option then definitely bring a CD of music you know inside and out and play it on the system at the store. As we all know the speaker may be the most important part of the audio equipment. What is sweet sounding to one person may be bloated to another and what is tonally accurate may sound sterile to someone else.

I have made many purchases I regretted based on literature. It is so personal. I like the Martin Logans but not Polk or Definitive Technology. Polk and Definitive Technology speakers are well made and high quality but the "sound" is not one I am looking for. But if someone puts them in their system I know that they will have a good system.

Also, like a good chair, you get used to whatever you get.

Look at Thiels. They are my favorite. Crutchfield, J and R, and B and H are places to price things to compare with Best Buy.

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #12 of 13
I find Vienna Acoustics to be more "show offy" than performance oriented. They look stunning in person and are built well, but dont sound terrific or anything. I've personally been impressed with Martin Logan speakers and feel its a good pick at the sort of discount you are mentioning. I completely dont like anything Polk does, and the Klipsch speakers that Bestbuy Magnolia carry (with the gold color drivers) tend to be very bright and sort of smearing for lack of a better term.

Oh and if you can get me that sort of discount on Martin Logan speakers, I'd jump on it right away :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back