Another Sennheiser thread
Jun 20, 2006 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

audiofil

500+ Head-Fier
Hello headfiers!
This is my first post here and I would like some help.
I'm considering buying a set of Sennheiser HD595 in the near future.
I must mention that I do not have a dedicated amplifier for them (they'll be connected to a Hercules Fortissimo4 soundcard and the output of my NAD C320BEE amplifier). Because of the scarce availability of one in Romania (where I live) I don't think I will get one any time soon.
I would be curious about the differences (unamplified) between HD650 and HD595.
Thank you

Jun 20, 2006 at 8:37 AM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiofil
Hello headfiers!
This is my first post here and I would like some help.
I'm considering buying a set of Sennheiser HD595 in the near future.
I must mention that I do not have a dedicated amplifier for them (they'll be connected to a Hercules Fortissimo4 soundcard and the output of my NAD C320BEE amplifier). Because of the scarce availability of one in Romania (where I live) I don't think I will get one any time soon.
I would be curious about the differences (unamplified) between HD650 and HD595.
Thank you

I have both, conected to my Yamaha reciver.. I can't believe the detail I was missing using the 595's..I been replaying all my games & wow..I can hear the drips in the sink in Hitman BM..&, much better clarity, & when yuo hear pl talk in games/movies it's like they are right infront of you..Don't get me wrong, the 595's are one hell of a head phone, but I'd still get the 650's..Best 370.00 I spent since I paid 400.0 for the 360..Any more questions feel free to PM me..

Jun 20, 2006 at 9:07 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice
I have both, conected to my Yamaha reciver.. I can't believe the detail I was missing using the 595's..I been replaying all my games & wow..I can hear the drips in the sink in Hitman BM..&, much better clarity, & when yuo hear pl talk in games/movies it's like they are right infront of you..Don't get me wrong, the 595's are one hell of a head phone, but I'd still get the 650's..Best 370.00 I spent since I paid 400.0 for the 360..Any more questions feel free to PM me..

So your Yamaha receiver drives your 650s pretty well? How much have you burned-in your 650s? Thanks

Jun 20, 2006 at 9:16 AM Post #4 of 18
Be careful anyway - against possible expectations, a normal integrated amp's headphone out (due to the high output impedance) will privilege the high impedance headphones to their low impedance peers. When I had the HD595, I felt it was quite a bit more penalized than the HD650, when comparing the two out of my Pioneer A-209R.

Jun 20, 2006 at 9:19 AM Post #5 of 18
And btw, no worries about being driven well from an integrated -- the HD650 even sounded a tad louder than the HD595 at the same volume knob setting, due to the voltage drop that's caused by a high-output-impedance-to-low-headphone's-impedance coupling.

Jun 20, 2006 at 9:24 AM Post #6 of 18
It depends of which kind of music you want to listen.
I don´t know the HD595 but the HD650 has a definitely darker sound than other phones. Which doesn´t make them necessarily bad ones but you should know this. Of course everything improves with an headamp but they should work good enough witg the phones jack of your integrated amp. (At least they´re the easiest to drive of all of my phones.)

Jun 20, 2006 at 9:30 AM Post #7 of 18
After a little more than a year of use, my HD650 seems nothing like dark sounding anymore (though I was never struck by such a strong trait of darkness as someone describes)
eek.gif
Is it me or the phones that have changed?

Jun 20, 2006 at 9:40 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time
So your Yamaha receiver drives your 650s pretty well? How much have you burned-in your 650s? Thanks

drives them pretty good..It's a mid range Yamaha..(1,000)Just used them for 6 hrs.. Someone told me they would sound like poop on my Yamaha..I totally disagree..But Will still need a amp to maKe these puppies shine..

Jun 20, 2006 at 9:41 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Be careful anyway - against possible expectations, a normal integrated amp's headphone out (due to the high output impedance) will privilege the high impedance headphones to their low impedance peers. When I had the HD595, I felt it was quite a bit more penalized than the HD650, when comparing the two out of my Pioneer A-209R.

I get the same feeling..

Jun 20, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

After a little more than a year of use, my HD650 seems nothing like dark sounding anymore (though I was never struck by such a strong trait of darkness as someone describes)
eek.gif
Is it me or the phones that have changed?

I've been wondering about this myself. I think that mine have become less dark with time. You'd think that they'd get bassier when the pads allow the drivers closer to your ears!

I quickly changed to the new Headfive with them too last night from the Graham Slee Solo and when I went back to the Solo again, they sounded positively BRIGHT. (The Headfive made them sound warmer)

I think that mine have changed - they also get a lot of use so we're talking a lot of hours.

Ian

Jun 20, 2006 at 1:00 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
I've been wondering about this myself. I think that mine have become less dark with time. You'd think that they'd get bassier when the pads allow the drivers closer to your ears!

I quickly changed to the new Headfive with them too last night from the Graham Slee Solo and when I went back to the Solo again, they sounded positively BRIGHT. (The Headfive made them sound warmer)

I think that mine have changed - they also get a lot of use so we're talking a lot of hours.

Ian

Yep, funny (but welcome). I wouldn't want a headphone to become bassy and mellow over time -- that'd mean that the drivers' membranes are decaying fast
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, as you brought it about -- which of those amps would you say you prefer overall for the HD650, disregarding the price difference?

Jun 20, 2006 at 1:05 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

By the way, as you brought it about -- which of those amps would you say you prefer overall for the HD650, disregarding the price difference?

At the moment, without a doubt, the Graham Slee Solo.There's more resolution up top and it's extremely punchy. It's quite an amazing amp actually and doesn't get much of a mention in these areas.

However, the Headfive is not burned in yet and I hear that it changes over time. Straight out of the box, the Senns + Headfive are not for me. The top becomes a little bit too thick for me.

Do you have the felt still in the Senns or have you taken it out? I left mine in.

Headfive + Grado is going to be good. (Maybe also help the DT880!!!!)
eek.gif

Ian

Jun 20, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #13 of 18
Good to know (...) thanks! Too bad we're (I suppose?) not Grado fans, then!
tongue.gif

To try and make a hypothesis -- probably those low grade 4700uF 25V Nichicon VR electrolytics in the power supply stage of the Headfive, unassisted by any sort of effective bypassing, are what makes the Headfive sound warm (treble a bit recessed) and not so very detailed up top.
plainface.gif

Jun 20, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

-- probably those low grade 4700uF 25V Nichicon VR electrolytics in the power supply stage of the Headfive, unassisted by any sort of effective bypassing, are what makes the Headfive sound warm (treble a bit recessed) and not so very detailed up top.
plainface.gif

Also why you probably had a few changes of mind eh? LOL

Ian

Jun 20, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #15 of 18
Just like to say this, the HD650 are not the best for gaming, although that does not stop them from sounding [size=xx-small](not necessarily being better)[/size] better in games than headphones that are susposed to excel in gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back