Another SACD qustion: 5.1 surround sound use in headphone?
Apr 10, 2003 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Uncledan

Headphoneus Supremus
I am consider to get PINK FLOYD DARK SIDE OF THE MOON SACD, it is reissued on hybrid SACD in 5.1 surround sound. However I am using headphone, I do have a SACD player which come with mult stereo and stereo output. So can I hear 5.1 surround sound in headphone???

(I know, it is newbie question <===
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
)

Apr 10, 2003 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 11
Unfortunately no, unless you buy the pioneer 5.1 headphone unit or one of the similar sony ones.

Make sure that you switch to the stereo layer when listening through headphones, though, otherwise you may only hear the front 2 channels of the surround mix.

Apr 10, 2003 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamP88
Unfortunately no, unless you buy the pioneer 5.1 headphone unit or one of the similar sony ones.

Make sure that you switch to the stereo layer when listening through headphones, though, otherwise you may only hear the front 2 channels of the surround mix.

Does it mean there are no different between CD or SACD in this case? Since I do not get anything from 5.1 surround sound. So I can buy DARK SIDE OF THE MOON CD instead of SACD?

Apr 10, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 11
Every SACD contains a dedicated stereo SACD mix, so even with just stereo headphones, you can enjoy a stereo SACD as intended.

As for the DSOTM SACD, I was able to pick it up for US$11.50 at Walmart. I think that's cheaper than the redbook CD.

Apr 10, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Uncledan
Does it mean there are no different between CD or SACD in this case? Since I do not get anything from 5.1 surround sound. So I can buy DARK SIDE OF THE MOON CD instead of SACD?

There should be a SACD 2.0 along with the 5.1 as well.

Edit: Opps, soundboy already answered the question.

Apr 10, 2003 at 8:31 PM Post #7 of 11
The SACD layer sounds incredible. I have it on vinyl, but unfortunately my vinyl copy is old and in terrible condition. I haven't heard the 5.1 layer yet as I have not hooked up my 555ES to my integrated.

Apr 10, 2003 at 8:42 PM Post #8 of 11
It wouldn't work with Dolby Headphone anyway, because that needs to be fed with a Dolby Digital 5.1 stream. The SACD doesn't provide that stream format, nor do regular SACD players provide a digital output. I don't know, though, whether other virtual surround technologies for headphones (SilentCinema, VSS, IVA, SRS Headphone...) are also that format dependant.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Apr 10, 2003 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Uncledan

No actually, there is still a significant increase in quality between stereo SACD and stereo redbook. And even if you were going to buy a regular DSOTM cd, the SACD would be the one to get, as the redbook layer on it is also of exceptional quality.

Bottom line, the DSOTM SACD is a must own for anyone (who likes Pink Floyd) with a cd player, whether it is SACD-compatible or redbook only.

Apr 13, 2003 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 11
The Lake Theaterphone HSM6240 takes six analog inputs and gives you surround sound on headphones from all six-channel surround formats - alas, it's not cheap. Here's a link if you're interested: http://www.macmidimusic.com/prod.itml/icOid/1719

I've not tried the 6240 with SACD, but it is excellent for movies, and good enough with regular CDs that you might not be able to go back to "just" stereo
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2003 at 2:03 PM Post #11 of 11
The lake unit is a dolby headphone unit.
It will convert the SACD 5.1 mix (or any analog 5.1 out) to DH.
I don't know what that will do to the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back