Another Round of General DIY Questions from A Nubie?
Feb 19, 2010 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Bop

100+ Head-Fier
Hello again, today I am in the search for a relatively low-end DMM for general projects that will probably range from a few amps + dacs -> cables/interconnects -> possibly speakers

I was hoping to keep it in the $30-$50 range and was considering some of the Sears/Radioshack models.

Q1: Are there any DMMs that you would recommend over either of the above?

Q2: Also, does anyone know a place to buy bulk solder for a decent price or at least cheaper than radioshack?

Thank You!

Feb 19, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 4
I can't help you here, but I'll be watching to see what comes up, as I'm very interested in getting solder, as mine is almost out, and a decent DMM, as mine adds +40 or so to whatever ohms it's reading for resistance.

Thanks for posting, good luck with answers, and of course, the best of luck for your upcoming builds.

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 4
How cheap do you want it to be? How much do you need? I use Radio Shack's Silver bearing solder (62/36/2 IIRC). I just bought a 1.5 oz roll yesterday. It will last me a few months, and I like to keep it fresh. It was $5.50. The only other local place I've seen solder (apart from radio parts stores, you may try them if you've got one), is Ace Hardware. I just checked their website and Alpha 60/40 will set you back $4.79 for .75 oz. You'd need to be pretty serious to use a 1 lb spool (most common size from mail order parts places) within a couple of years, and it'd set you back at least $25 (more for finer gauge) +shipping. I'd start with a little roll were I you.

FWIW, I mostly regret buying my Craftsman DMM. It sort of gets the job done (so long as I don't need to measure something accurately or check a high voltage), so I can't bring myself to replace it. But, I keep eyeing used Flukes. You might check your local craigslist in the even there is a deal. I bet ya' anything I wouldn't be sorry had I sprung for one in the beginning.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back