Another recommendation thread...please help!
Mar 3, 2010 at 9:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kurosuto

Head-Fier
Hey guys, Ive been reading for several days without coming to a conclusion.

I listen to rock, punk rock, super punk, umm...acoustics, basically a variety.

some bands: all time low, mercy mercedes, mayday parade, alesana, jarmies elsewhere, etc.

ok this is pretty much my list of considerations, i simply need someone to slap me and tell me which one to get.

Denon d2000
Beyerdyanamics 770 32ohm, 880 32ohm

then

alessandro 2 series
grado 225i
senn hd600

i still cant decide between close vs open. i usually use um3x for portable usage...but it would be nice to get another closed if anything but still deciding.

so can someone please tell me the verdict. and oh yeah, ill be getting either an ASUS D2/STX or ht omega halo claro XT for my PC.

any suggestions would be helpful!

and oh yeah, i want bass. not like im not satisfied with the bass on um3x...i just want something that'll hit me. not too much but a moderate amount. at least moderately more than um3x.

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #2 of 7
You want contrasty sound get Denon d2000, you want alot of mid range with raw sound get grado 225i, if you want balanced sound but you want to spend moneys to amp it properly hd600...

Mar 3, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #3 of 7
More bass than the UM3X? Cut Grado's/Alessandro's off your list then. Denons have a recessed mid range, but not overly so. I have not listened to Denon's, Sennheiser's or Beyerdynamics, so I cannot help you much in that department. The Denons, Beyerdynamics and Sennheisers all need a fairly decent amp. AFAIK, neither of those sound cards will drive them fine, but nothing too spectacular. I own the UM3X and I was looking for a more bassy can. I bought the ALO-780 and wow, it hit me in the face
biggrin.gif
There is so much more bass and the treble is wonderful. However, the mids are recessed quite a bit though
frown.gif
BTW if you want bass, it goes: Beyerdynamic DT770>DT990>DT880.

Mar 3, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 7
o0o0 alright thanks. was hoping to finally get my hands on grados but i guess it simply isnt my cup of tea. anyways thanks. perhaps ill wait to see if theres a better choice, if not, i guess beyerdynamics it'll be. wait...if those cards cant drive them, do you have a recommendation?

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #5 of 7
There are a hundred different amps, at a hundred different price ranges, that can drive any of the cans you've listed. What is your price range for an amp? Would you want a dedicated amp, or an amp/dac combo?

Mar 4, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #7 of 7
i think i would want a dedicated amp so i can bring it with me. an amp is definitely somewhere int he horizon and willin to pay maybe from 200-400MAX. i think about 300 is more plausible. Going to be out of college soon in hopes of graduate school so money will be harder to come by. I dont mind buying a headphone that needs a good amp to power it since i will eventually buy it.

but as of now.....i need something to satisfy my ears when i dont feel like using my um3x...it hurts my ears so i try not to use them as often. I emailed westone but they say its cuz of the anatomy of my ears so im hoping um56 will help with that issue.

anyways, back to the thread, would appreciate if someone can offer their 2cents on the phones listed above.

p.s cannot find any reliable sellers for the beyerdynamics...can someone point me int he right direction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back