Another "Recommend me an Amp" thread...
Feb 6, 2009 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gjg

Head-Fier
Hello All:

Looks like I'm in this hobby to stay, might as well go with an amp. My current setup - Nano 16gb 4th gen (filled to the brim - another player next after the amp), Ety ER-4P (will convert to an S with amp) and some Phonaks here Monday. Also searching for an LOD in the <$75 range. Some criteria - Hopefully <$300, and preferably American made by a company with good CS. As small as possible - will give up rechargeability for compactness. And finally compatability with other high quality phones I may purchase in the future.

The one unit that caught my eye first was the Ray Samuels Tomahawk. Any and all feedbak will be appreciated here!!
TIA,
Greg

Feb 7, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #3 of 10
Yes - read them. Just wondered if anybody has info with this particular combination of IEM's and the criteria of good Customer Service and non-Chinese manufacture.
gg

Quote:

Originally Posted by swayne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you checked any of the review links?

Portable amps.

Portable DAC/Amps.

Steven.

Feb 7, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 10
First let me say - NOTHING against the Chinese as a people or a nation! China is my first choice as a vacation destination (but the wife wants to go to Tuscany, so I guess we're Italy bound first....), I'm fascinated by the history, the culture, the people. I'm a bit of a student on Chinese business practices and manufacturing, and as a Quality analyst I appreciate the strides they have made on QC. I truly ADMIRE what China has done as a country since the time of Mao.

But on the other hand some of the business practices SOME Chinese companies use really rubs me the wrong way. I live in central Wisconsin, which USED to be a huge papermaking area. Not so much now. And a large reason why is the practice of Chinese paper companies "Dumping" their paper in the USA - actually selling it for less than the cost of manufacture to gain a foothold on the market. The result - loss of many papermaking jobs in the area. The mill I was working at is running at half production. Another mill a mile down the road making the same product (Coated paper) is shut down. And it's because the playing field is uneven - No OSHA or EPA regulations there. And a salary that is a small percentage of what it is here. Not that American papermaking (and manufacturing in general) is perfect - far from it. We have to sleep in the bed we have made. But it be nice to somehow even the playing field to give Americans a chance to compete. How? Tariffs? I don't know, I'm not that smart. But hopefully some folks are.

OK, off my soapbox. So my reason for not wanting a Chinese made amp - I just want to support American companies and American workers. I'll have to pay the premium to by the USA-made product, and I'm willing do do that. I'm not a flag-waving nut, I just want to see this little bit of discretional spending stay here. I do buy Chinese product and will continue to. Just not this amp.
gg
smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any particular reason you want a "Non Chinese" amp? just curious.

PS:
I am not a Chinese BTW

Feb 7, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #6 of 10
You may want to think about a used RSA Hornet. I just picked one up and am in love with it. Sounds fantastic with the ATH ES7 and Koss Porta-Pro. You can look on the for sell section and they have some that were selling for 225.00 or so. Mine was in perfect condition and looked brand new. Also I found out that the Ray Samuels have a three year warranty and it is transferable to any owner. Good deal I think. Just a suggestion, if you are like me you will do what you want to anyway. LOL.

Feb 7, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #7 of 10
x2 on RSA. I would suggest a Ray Samuels Audio P-51 Mustang, although, at $375 is a little more than you initially stated as your budget, but you did say "Hopefully". Seems to fit the bill perfectly, Made in U.S.A., Custom-Built, Hand-Crafted, Best Customer Service in the industry. Also, has one of the smallest footprints & exceptional battery-life, as I am getting about 60-72hrs. off a single charge w/IEMs & 50-60hrs. w/Full-Size Cans. Would've initially suggested a RSA Tomahawk at $295, which seems to be more within your budget, though I'm not sure what you were referring to "And further compatibility with other High-Quality Phones I may purcahse in the future". You see, the Mustang has twice the output power of a Tomahawk @250ma per channel, and thus has three-level-gain switch @2-6-11 compared to the Tomahawks two-level @1-4. So If you're referring to getting HD600/650s or K701/702s, of High-Impedance I would go Mustang, if you going with Low-Impedance Cans/IEMs Tomahawk. Good Luck.
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 10
Bringing this one back up from the dead. Nothing in a used amp available right now, and I can't post to find an amp on that forum yet. Also tried Audiogon. Anything cheaper than a RSA recommended? Or if if ANYONE is selling a minty, used Mustang or Tomahawk please let me know.

gg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back