Another reason to hate the HD580/600 stock cable
May 7, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #16 of 26
I think this is a common occurance with the stock cables on this set of cans. Not a big problem, and not a pandemic one, it's just that the cable to me appears quite cheaply built. All the aftermarket cables I have ever seen blow the stock ones away in quality without even the slightest amount of competition.

May 7, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #17 of 26
I just bought an HD650 stock cable from jfalford... should be a good cable for backup use (or even primary use), as I understand it's built better than the 580/600 stock cable. Word is that there's no sonic difference between the two stock cables, but it'll be fun to test this out myself
wink.gif

May 7, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire
Upgradeitis strikes again
biggrin.gif

Good luck with your testing, fewtch.

Hey, for $15 it's cheaper than a replacement HD600 stock cable from Sennheiser USA, so it's purely for fun (and for using as a backup, should the stock cable fail on my 580s or 600s).

Most likely if it's built better and is sonically similar to the HD600 stock, it's gonna be on the headphones... why not use the better cable...

May 11, 2004 at 5:58 PM Post #21 of 26
Using a 650 cable sounds like a good idea, post how it comes out for you.

I've shied away from using an aftermarket cable because I figured the problem was due to our heavy user (and less than gentle child, I'm guessing). Replacing an $18 cord every half year or so is an incidental consumable expense. Replacing a $150-200 cable would be a nightmare.

May 11, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thump
Using a 650 cable sounds like a good idea, post how it comes out for you.

I received it, and it does sound more solid than the HD600 stock cable... less airy, but the sound is firmer and clearer. Built quite a bit better too (almost as well as the Oehlbach). The HD650 stock cable really resembles the Oehlbach closely, both the plugs on the ends and the thickness of the cable are similar. One could almost get the notion that Oehlbach builds the HD650 stock cable for Sennheiser.

I'm in this mindset that the HD600 stock cable is "how Sennheiser intended the phones to sound" and can't seem to get out of it
rolleyes.gif
... for the moment I'll be keeping the HD650 stock cable as a standby and continue to use the HD600 stock. The fact is, I like the way it sounds and don't really want a change (even if it's an "improvement").

May 11, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I'm in this mindset that the HD600 stock cable is "how Sennheiser intended the phones to sound" and can't seem to get out of it
rolleyes.gif
... for the moment I'll be keeping the HD650 stock cable as a standby and continue to use the HD600 stock. The fact is, I like the way it sounds and don't really want a change (even if it's an "improvement").

Tim,

I guess I wonder if Senn got it right with their stock cable? It might be what they intended, but that doesn't mean it sounds its best using the stock cable. If you can open up the top end, tighten up the bass AND keep the soundstage of the original cable, it sounds like an improvement upon what Senn intended, and that's a good thing in my book.

May 11, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
Tim,

I guess I wonder if Senn got it right with their stock cable?

If you go by all the awards the HD600 has won (including being on Stereophile's "Class A" list), all won with the stock cable installed, the answer would of course be yes.
Quote:

It might be what they intended, but that doesn't mean it sounds its best using the stock cable.

True, but then "best" is a relative term... what sounds good to one person may not sound good to another.

May 11, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

I just bought an HD650 stock cable from jfalford... should be a good cable for backup use (or even primary use), as I understand it's built better than the 580/600 stock cable. Word is that there's no sonic difference between the two stock cables, but it'll be fun to test this out myself
wink.gif

You @#$* you bought it right out from under me!
600smile.gif
And I was going to use it to replace my stock 600 cable which is broken and I have to keep jiggling. "Less airy" Serves you right, you b*#@!
cool.gif

May 11, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

If you go by all the awards the HD600 has won (including being on Stereophile's "Class A" list), all won with the stock cable installed, the answer would of course be yes.

True, but then "best" is a relative term... what sounds good to one person may not sound good to another.

Awards won nowadays mean next to nothing. I have heard some award winning stuff I thought sucked quite badly, or was bested by components costing less money. Of course all the tests done were against lesser cans and to my knowledge STereophile and other rags have never compared the Senn to the CD3000, AT anything stuff, and a couple of other serious competitors like Beyerdynamic. That means they were crowned king without having to take on any competition other than their own products like the HD580. Funny, huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back