Another question on Creek OBH11 SE
May 9, 2002 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rawhit

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,
I have almost made up my mind on this but more suggestions never hurt.
I have Grado SR-80,Grado-325 and would soon be getting a Senn HD-600. I have been able to convince myself for the third time that this is the last can I will buy.
biggrin.gif

Well I wanted an amp which is transparent and versatile. It should be able to drive both Grados and Senns well.
I can get the Creek OBH-11 SE (used)for USD 160. Is this a good deal? Are there better amps available for this price which meet my requirements?
From the posts that I have read the Corda HA1 has got rave reviews but is out of my price range. Will the creek be able to come close to the performance of Corda?
Also I had some questions about the creek amp about which I could not find specifice answers usin the search.
1) Do the two headphone jacks available have difference impedence meant for driving different phones?
2) Some people have mentioned that OBH11SE is brighter sounding than OBH11. But i am not able to get much info on this.

Thanx for your time
RawHit

May 10, 2002 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 9
RawHit,

I tested both jacks with SR-60s and HD-600s. See results here:

OBH-11/SE Jack Impedance

The frequency differences between the two jacks with either set of headphones are small. There is some difference between the impedance of the two jacks. Do a search for the threads.

I like the amp with both sets of headphones, and I don't feel it is particularly or overly bright with Grados.

Not to start a flame, but I have yet to find an op-amp based amp that exceeds the OBH-11/SE's performance (I'm still trying to build one, and I haven't had the pleasure of listening to one of PPL's monsters).

IMHO you can't go wrong buying the amp.

I also have an MG-Head/DT. The amp is very similar in performance to the OBH-11/SE with the HD-600s. Not so with the Grados. I also hear more distortion with the MG-Head (could be I need to roll more tubes). Bottom line is that I find the OBH-11/SE a better all-around amp.

Best of luck.

May 10, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 9
thanx for the input guys,

sneared
in the link you posted two different versions A & B of creek OBH11SE are mentioned.
Whats the difference between these two?

cheers
RawHit

May 10, 2002 at 5:58 AM Post #7 of 9
it works very well with the K501, about as well as anything you could find for less than $300 I would guess. Together they have an enjoyable, transparent sound, with great treble clarity. So I think have pretty good synergy, but as always, your mileage may vary.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2002 at 8:31 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

sneared
in the link you posted two different versions A & B of creek OBH11SE are mentioned.
Whats the difference between these two?

Well, I am curious to know that difference too!

(I have the B version of Creek SE amp)

Thanx
Moonwalker

May 21, 2002 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by sneared
RawHit,

<Skipped>

Not to start a flame, but I have yet to find an op-amp based amp that exceeds the OBH-11/SE's performance (I'm still trying to build one, and I haven't had the pleasure of listening to one of PPL's monsters).

<Skipped>

Hi,

this could be because there isn't an op-amp with a 100 mA biased class A output stage
smily_headphones1.gif

Alex

Creek Audio Limited

Users who are viewing this thread

Back