Another Portables Thread
Jan 29, 2006 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

novaks47

New Head-Fier
OK, let me start off by saying that I've never owned high end headphones, or even midrange for that matter. I listen to metal, mostly death, and I also listen to power metal, and some hard rock. Some examples : Cradle of Filth, Iron Maiden, Hammerfall, Arch Enemy, and Illnath(no slipknot or any other radio stuff). I'm looking for some portable phones that have some decent bass(tight, no "boomy" bass, I like "thump") for my Creative Jukebox Zen Xtra. They also have to be sealed, headband type phones(no clips or in ear phones). The Zen is a little weak when it comes to bass, so bass heavy phones are alright. Also, the Zen's output is minimal at best(I have to use a cheap booster while at work). I'm currently using some old Koss Pro 35's, which I love, but I would like to get some sealed-type phones. I'm considiring the AKG K26P's, but I've seen some seriously mixed reviews, so I'm undecided. I just haven't had much experience with headphones. I'd rather not spend over $60. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 29, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #3 of 5
LOL, my bad. I should've announced my disdain for Sony. No offense, but I've never heard anything from Sony that I liked. Car audio, home audio, low end, high end, you name it, I don't like Sony. Again, no offense. And, for know, forget my budget. Any more suggestions?

Jan 29, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by novaks47
LOL, my bad. I should've announced my disdain for Sony. No offense, but I've never heard anything from Sony that I liked. Car audio, home audio, low end, high end, you name it, I don't like Sony. Again, no offense. And, for know, forget my budget. Any more suggestions?

Sony does make a vast pile of crap, but they do know how to make good high end headphones and projectors. SA5000, 010, CD3000...all high end Sonys.

Anyway, no headphone amp leaves only a few choices. Right off the bat I'm thinking Audiotechnica ATH 900. There is a Grado that is recommended I'm sure, but I'm not familiar with those and how easy/uneasy they are to drive. Will wait for someone else to chime in, but I'm thinking Grado SR 325.

EDIT: The SR 325s are on the more expensive side IIRC. You may look into the SR 60 and SR 80s that are below 100. FWIW, the SR 325 may need a headphone amp. Like I said, Grados are not my area of expertise. I know the ATH 900 are some of the easier to drive headphones, and I know the Grados come highly recommended for rock/metal.

Jan 29, 2006 at 9:17 AM Post #5 of 5
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll keep the Sony's in mind, but the Grado's look like what I'm after, the SR 80's in particular. A little more than I wanted to spend, but they seem to be worth the little bit extra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back