Another Porcupine Tree Thread.
Apr 10, 2013 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Matkinson121

New Head-Fier
Hi there, I'm looking to get another porcupine tree album, and as there are so many I need some help with making the decision of which one (or maybe two
wink_face.gif
) to buy.

I currently own:

In Absentia
Fear Of A Blank Planet
Arriving Somewhere
Deadwing

Fear of a blank planet is definitely my favourite at the moment as it seems to be the most metal influenced? and has spurred this need for another album.

Can you recommend me my next PT album to buy? Leaning towards the heavier side of PT as opposed to the more Pink Floyd side. :)

Cheers.
darthsmile.gif

(...Please don't send me death threats for not liking Pink Floyd
triportsad.gif
I've tried my best to!)

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:
Hi there, I'm looking to get another porcupine tree album, and as there are so many I need some help with making the decision of which one (or maybe two
wink_face.gif
) to buy.

I currently own:

In Absentia
Fear Of A Blank Planet
Arriving Somewhere
Deadwing

Fear of a blank planet is definitely my favourite at the moment as it seems to be the most metal influenced? and has spurred this need for another album.

Can you recommend me my next PT album to buy? Leaning towards the heavier side of PT as opposed to the more Pink Floyd side. :)

Cheers.
darthsmile.gif

I don't know if I would call any of it really heavy, or metal influenced, really. JuanseAmador is right though, you should get The Incident.
Something to aspire to, though.....
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 15
Got 'The Incident' today, and it's really good!. Need to give it a few more listens obviously, but even at first listen..wow.
atsmile.gif

Still doesn't beat FoaBP imo, but I'm not sure anything can.
redface.gif

I think part of the love of this band is just the production, I'm not sure, there's something about the sound that's just fantastic!

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #6 of 15
Got 'The Incident' today, and it's really good!. Need to give it a few more listens obviously, but even at first listen..wow. :atsmile:

Still doesn't beat FoaBP imo, but I'm not sure anything can. :xf_eek:

I think part of the love of this band is just the production, I'm not sure, there's something about the sound that's just fantastic!

Experimental, Proggressive and Psychedelic bands have good recordings usually.

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
Experimental, Proggressive and Psychedelic bands have good recordings usually.

I'm not too sure how active Steven Wilson was in the mixing of the Porcupine Tree albums, but the albums I've heard where he was the primary producer have all been fantastic recordings.  

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #8 of 15
You could try the new Steven Wilson solo album

And still, Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun are absolute classics.

Just take your time, don't rush it, take one at a time.

Apr 20, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #9 of 15
Not much love for Together We're Stranger.

Apr 20, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #10 of 15
^ defenitely yes, but he's leaning towards the heavier side op PT, so....

No-Man's Together Were Stranger is IMHO one of the very best records made involving Steven Wilson, if not, it's at the very nr1 spot for me.
But it's something different, something else then PT, those records of no-man 'are something else together':p

Apr 20, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
^ defenitely yes, but he's leaning towards the heavier side op PT, so....

No-Man's Together Were Stranger is IMHO one of the very best records made involving Steven Wilson, if not, it's at the very nr1 spot for me.
But it's something different, something else then PT, those records of no-man 'are something else together':p

It's def a No.1 for me.

In that case...just trying to open him up to something more.

Apr 20, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #12 of 15
'roll me over....to my left side....to my right side'

that record is a masterpiece, very nice recording quality and mix also, ideal headhone music for dark lonesome nights

Apr 20, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #13 of 15
'I'm what you left behind' ' I'm fading from your mind'

Def one for the ages, super emotional but yea, made for dark lonesome nights. 

Apr 20, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #14 of 15
saw Steven en Tim together half a year ago at the Boerderij Zoetermeer* (Netherlands); it was fantastic, beauttifully played songs
I was pleasantly surprised at how well these minimalistic songs stood up live, Tim's voice really is one in a million.

*where Pain of Salvation will be performing tonight, acoustic, I will be there offcourse..

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #15 of 15
That had to have been a real treat. I don't think the states would afford such opportunities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back