Another pair of small-room speakers
Jul 8, 2007 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking for pointers I can look into for a pair of quasi-bookshelf-size speakers which will be good for small-room listening at low to medium volume levels. Amp will probably be the EAR V20 while sources will be varied. Budget, about $5,000.

Jul 8, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 17
Green Mountain Audio and Usher make nice largish bookshelves.

$5000 used or new only?

Jul 9, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 17
http://www.tannoy-speakers.com/s.php...itle=TD+8&s=24

Tannoy Dimension series should be easy for you to audition as they are a British company. I have a dealer in my town and they impressed me with their effortless reproduction of anything. Very nice speakers with excellent build quality. They come in a wide variety of configurations too. This should allow for different room sizes.

There is another UK company I would recommend but I need to remember first lol.

Jul 9, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #5 of 17
$2000 will probably get you 99% of the sound quality you can possibly get, while leaving you plenty of money for a sub to integrate with the system or possibly more sources.

Just curious, what are you looking to get for $5000 and how will they be set up in the room?

Jul 9, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #6 of 17
You could check some Harbeth speakers.
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by circularlogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a big fan of the Wilson Benesch Arc. The speaker and integral stands are about $4500.

I already have a pair in another location, as well as the Discovery. I rate them pretty highly although I don't have such a huge pool of speakers that I've had, but I was hoping for something different this time.

Harbeth - never heard of them before, but looks like the Monitor 20/30 Domestic is worth a look.

The Tannoy is a little overbudget (and big) but I'll see if I can audition them anywhere.

Jul 9, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 17
yes they are largish but the wideband tweeter reminds me of the famous HP Grados for some reason.

Jul 10, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 17
AH! There is this and the Merlins of course. If you have Wilsons then you are hard to please I would imagine. Anyway, try these if you have never heard them. Another UK brand. They appear to be right in your price range.

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/hifispeaker...stic/index.php

Jul 10, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastergill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could check some Harbeth speakers.
biggrin.gif

I've heard of Harbeth, but have not heard Harbeth speakers.

How do they sound to you?

Also to the original poster, you could go with some active speakers and save on the amp. Genelec's I can vouch for as I'm in a small room for listening and the 8030a's sound great to me. Adam's have a good reputation as well.

Jul 10, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Love /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard of Harbeth, but have not heard Harbeth speakers.

How do they sound to you?

Also to the original poster, you could go with some active speakers and save on the amp. Genelec's I can vouch for as I'm in a small room for listening and the 8030a's sound great to me. Adam's have a good reputation as well.

Um... yes. I already have a pair of 8040a's (they're back in my kitchen) and also a pair of 8030a's as laptop-attached speakers. Once again, looking for something different + better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back