Another one of those 'help me select one of these headphone!'
Apr 7, 2009 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

gimmethatbeatfool

New Head-Fier
Alright guys and gals, I've been looking around for an entry level (<100$US, or somewhere around that, most I'm willing to spend is 125$) headphone that can suit my needs. I've done some snooping around these boards to get some kind of an idea of several phones that I've narrowed down to.

This is what I'll be playing out of.
-Sony Walkman NWZ-A726 (MP3 Player)
-Zune 120GB

As for external components, I have a Fiio E5.

I've narrowed it down, I suppose, to these.

SR80i
MS-1
ATH-AD700
ATH-ES7
ATH-M50
Equation RP-21
Equation RP-22x

Of course I'm open to more suggestions, however, I relatively need it to be available over the internet (which may put the RX700's out of the question), as I am planning to take these on my trip around Western Europe next week, something I can use on quiet downtime.

Portability is not too big of an issue, neither is isolation nor leakage. However, I don't want them to be too monstrously large to be an issue to take with me.

-Music-
Acoustic
Jazz
Soul
Metal
Rock
Funk
Hip-Hop

I realize that list pretty much covers the entire spectrum of music genres, but what I'm really looking for is a solid performer in all those aspects. The best all-around headphone :/. I lean towards more of the bass side of things however, but I would still take the best balanced and best value out of those.

Apr 7, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 14
I think another one to maybe consider is the Denon AH D1001. Its very comfortable, portable, has a nice bass punch, falls on the middle to lower end of your price range (seen it sell anywhere from 70 bucks to 150 bucks new, but it can usually be found for under $100).

I love the AD700, but its nowhere near portable. If you go for that one, i'd advise getting something like Koss KSC75's, which are $10 and sound really good, and are super portable and fantastic straight out of an mp3 player. And then leaving the AD700's for dedicated home use only.

Apr 7, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 14
I've owned an SR80, ES7, and RP-21 at some point in time.

They are all very different headphones.

The RP-21's have the most bass of the three. However, the sound is fairly dark (something I wasn't too fond of). I personally thought they were too big to carry around outside. The cable was a bit long and the color and size of the cups attract a lot of attention. I didn't really like them that much for certain genre's. I sold mine because they weren't really my taste. They are good headphones though.

The SR80's leak a lot of sound in and out. People around you will hear what you're listening to and outside noises will drown out some of your music. Also, the newer SR80i's have larger cups which stick out further from your head (in case you're a little self-conscious about your looks). Grado's cable is a bit cumbersome for portable use. It's really fat (especially the newer i versions) and somewhat long. Out of the three though, I prefer the sound of the SR80's. I love the forwardness of Grados. They have the least bass out of the three, but it's enough in my opinion.

The ES7's are the most portable out of the three. They have a lower profile and isolate a little bit. I've been using my ES7's for quite some time as my portables. I personally think that they're the least comfortable out of the three though. They start to hurt a bit after about 30+ minutes. The sound is okay. They are slightly forward and have a good amount of bass.

All of them can be adequately powered by a DAP.

A lot of the headphones you listed are a little on the bigger side, so I'm not sure if that's really an issue. Before purchasing the RP-21's I thought they wouldn't be that big, but after putting them on my head I realized that they were a bit ridiculous to wear in public. Don't get me wrong, I liked the way they look. I just turned one too many heads while wearing them outdoors.

I hope this helps a little.

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #5 of 14
For all around use, I would actually get the sennheiser PX100 over any of the phones you listed. Even though they're supposedly "portable," they have pretty good bass -- definitely better than AD700, and maybe even better than sr80/ms1 -- and a little better soundstage than the grados, too. The AD700s are good for some things, but for the all-around genres you listed, funk, hip-hop, etc. I think the senns outperform them by a pretty wide margin. Plus the 700s are *huge.* Maybe it's not an issue, but they are pretty big.
tongue.gif
With the few dollars you save, you could even get a cheap $18 E5 to go along with them and have a really nice little rig.

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 14
Haha, what a coincidence, I had a PX100, 2 of them, and I found them to be great little portable phones, and as I've stated, I already have a E5
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm looking for something a little more full-sized, actually.

If I'm working out, running, or for other general use, I can sacrifice sound quality, so I just make do with either my JVC Mallows or my Sennheiser CX300s (which I got for 20$ during an Amazon pre-Christmas sale, not bad for the price)

I'm leaning more towards the RP21/RP22x or the DH1001, I've always liked 'darker' phones with a bit of punch at the low end.

Apr 7, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gimmethatbeatfool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, what a coincidence, I had a PX100, 2 of them, and I found them to be great little portable phones, and as I've stated, I already have a E5
smily_headphones1.gif

heheh - I missed that.
tongue.gif

Quote:

I'm looking for something a little more full-sized, actually.

I'm leaning more towards the RP21/RP22x or the DH1001, I've always liked 'darker' phones with a bit of punch at the low end.

Maybe add HD555 to the list.

Apr 7, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 14
decide which sound signature you liked. as some had said, RP21s are dark, and so are PX100s.
ES7s are brighter and livelier, and because i own them so i recommend them
smily_headphones1.gif
ive tried D1001 but yeah, i prefer my ES7s.
if you want an all-rounder then either AD700 or RX700. the only drawbacks of those two are size and openness (AD700) but you mentioned that you don't really mind so.. yeah.

Apr 7, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 14
MS1

Apr 7, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #10 of 14
yeah, I think the D1001 would be good for you.

I think the AD700's are better all around... but they are bright and a bit bass anemic.

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #11 of 14
I also have the RP-21, and the SR80, definitely two different animals for sure. The RP-21 can sound a little stuffy with closed mic'ed acoustic guitars but excel for everything else you listed, especially hip hop. The SR80 is lacking the bass impact I crave for hip hop and metal, although I have not tried it with my Fiio E5 yet. Electric guitars have a visceral edge to them on the Grado that an RP-21 does not. A headphone that meets these two pair abut half way is the Sony V6/7506. I would be willing to do a small comparison with a specific song or two with all three cans some time this week if it would help a lot.

Apr 7, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #13 of 14
Gold tips and a pro sticker on the side? Or so ive heard, my V6's just arrived and I can definitely recommend them if you want a decently balanced headphone, sometimes the highs can be harsh but the bass is there to balance it out, very good detail in these things as well, wow, great detail. Slightly more fun than the pro280's, but accurate none the less.

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #14 of 14
Alright, tomorrow I have time to do a small shoot out with RP-21, SR80, and Sony 7506. I think I_Use_C4 pretty much nailed the general consensus here about the V6/7506 differences. PM me about music for tomorrow, something you're familiar with and I have (access to). It should be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back