Another one of those first-time buyer/noob enquries, please help...*groan
Nov 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Shabba213

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I have done some of my own research, it's not that I'm lazy, but I just keep going back and fourth and cannot for the life of me decide on a solid pair.

Basically I'm after a mid-range (price) pair of headphones with the following of utmost importance: 

Important:

- Little to no sound leakage (most important aspect, I travel on trains a lot)
- On/Over-ear as I'll be getting some cheapish in-ear for gym work. 
- Looks stylish (enough)
- Decent enough sound 
- Will only be used on commute/travel/personal capacity, occasionally at home - but not in any mix/DJ/music kit/media station situation or anything active like the gym/running. 
- Will be used on mostly iPod classic. 
- Budget of £50-£130.($80-$210) 

Not that bothered about: (will only be a bonus)

- Customisable.
- The real sound details/science.
- Comfort - tends to be quite subjective. I've tried many pairs on and all seemed ok to me.
- Portable - don't care about folding up.
- Durability - I tend to take good care of stuff.  
- Other expensive add ons like noise cancellation, controls, blue tooth etc - really don't care for. 

What I'm cautious of doing is spending that extra £50 when I won't really be able to recognise and justify the increased value because of my limited use (mainly commuting, walking).

The closest I've come to so far in including most if not all of the above is the V-Moda Crossfade M-80s. But they're really at the top of my budget so was looking about to see if there's anything closer and more reasonable...I've also heard good things about Marley Exodus (dons tin hat) but I think I was just won over by the look.  

Thanks a lot - really appreciate it.

L3000.gif

PS - might not be relevant but I mostly listen to Hip-Hop. All genres really but that's the most dominant one in my MP3 collection. 

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #3 of 6
ATH-M50 is overrated and not that good sounding compared to other ~$125 models available now.

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 6
I have to admit I love the look of the ATH M50s. There's some great reviews on them and they're about £100 delivered ($160) in the UK - although they're on Amazon US for $105 so it might be worth my asking about overseas delivery to work out cheaper. 

Soundstige you don't agree though?

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 6
Although I am aware that many of the vid reviews show people talking about mixing/recording with the M50s, this is what I mean about going overboard for a casual listener. I'm always weary of the 'studio' label but I guess I'm just being lame...wish the M50s looked a little better and it would be sealed. 

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #6 of 6
M50 are overrated, don't get them. You'll be better of with the Shure SRH840.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back