Another newby wanting to buy good headphones ($400-$600 usd)
Aug 25, 2013 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Geotacubo

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody! is great to know about this community.

My name is Ramiro, from Mexico, I currently own some [size=small]Denon NC800 headphones which I use for travelling, however this time I want to buy the best possible option of over-ears headphones from around 500usd. I like how my denon's sound, thought I've heard noise-cancelling headphones are not the best for audiophiles, I'd like to move forward. [/size]

[size=small]I mainly listen to Jazz, R&B, Soul, Funk, and latin rythims, all acoustic (i.e. percussions, brass, bass guitar, guitars, voice) no electronic (almost never at least). So I'm looking for something with a crisp-natural sound. And I prefer closed headphones.[/size]

[size=small]Some options I've checked in amazon are:[/size]

[size=small]Sennheiser Momentum[/size]
[size=small]Beyerdynamic T70 [/size]

[size=x-small]I'm not limited to this options so if you have anything better, I'm all ears.[/size]

[size=x-small]Regards.[/size]

Aug 27, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 11
Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound and isolate poorly)?  In your price range there tend to be more quality open than closed cans.

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?  I am not sure what you mean by crisp and natural.  Does that mean neutral and accurate, or perhaps a brighter than neutral sound?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Have you checked out the buying guides on this site?

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #3 of 11
The best closed backs I've heard are:
Sennheiser Momentum
PSB M4U1
Bang & Olufsen H6

If you're open to the idea of open-back headphones look into:
Hifiman HE-400
Sennheiser HD650 (or HD600 which might be too relaxed for your taste)
Beyerdynamic DT990 (DT880 might be too sterile for your taste)

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #4 of 11
I know exactly what he means by crisp and natural sound although it is very difficult to describe it. The only headphone that truly offers crisp and natural sound is HD 800 and that too is on the brighter side.

Crisp means excellent prat and transient response. Typically Aktimates or adam audio speakers have crisp sound rather than mellow sound. Yet they are sweet and smooth while being crisp and sharp. Difficult to describe to somebody who hasn't heard such sound. The speakers I pointed you to have such sound.

Natural as in lifelike. Not necessarily neutral. But not bright and not dull either, except perhaps to a small degree based on how life like sounds are. It is close to neutral but not neutral across across frequencies, not necessarily at least. Pioneer SE A1000 has a very natural sound for instance whereas HD 800 is on the brighter side and LCD2 is dark. I am not comparing pioneers to them as pioneers are low end overall. But natural just means the sound signature you would get in a cinema or theater. Something lifelike and very real without being colored much. Similar to neutral but not necessarily, and something you enjoy rather than something which seems forced to you.

You won't find any headphone which meets this requirement. Akg phones are crisp but not natural. But they are the closest bets within your budget. Hd800 is super crisp but a bit bright for natural. And out of your budget. Other sennheiser headphones are not neutral enough except perhaps hd 600 which I can't talk about.

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #5 of 11
Don't forget the up coming Mr. Speaker Alpha Dog.  I do not recommend the B&O H6 as it's sound is overly lean with the bass being way too light, and I am not even a bass head.

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Don't forget the up coming Mr. Speaker Alpha Dog.  I do not recommend the B&O H6 as it's sound is overly lean with the bass being way too light, and I am not even a bass head.

Hmm... I thought it had about the same level of bass as the K550 when I auditioned it. Quite balanced and satisfying I found. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

[size=small]Some options I've checked in amazon are:[/size]

[size=small]Sennheiser Momentum[/size]
[size=small]Beyerdynamic T70 [/size]

[size=x-small]I'm not limited to this options so if you have anything better, I'm all ears.[/size]

[size=x-small]Regards.[/size]

Why T70 while T90 is much better for only $500 at ebay

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
The H6 needs good amplification to bring out the bass. KEF M500 is great for the genres you listed too.

I just used a PA2V2 - sounded great.

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
The H6 needs good amplification to bring out the bass. KEF M500 is great for the genres you listed too.

Yeah that's what I think, but even when I tested it out with my V-MODA VAMP for my iPhone 4S, it's bass is still way too lean for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back