Another Newbie Request for Advice
Dec 9, 2009 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

harvinstein

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi community!

I am new to this whole headphone scene, and after two days of reading posts, I thought the fastest way to get more specific advice would be to post. So here it is.

As is common for new posts, I am in the market for a set of headphones.

I will be driving them with my Zune 30GB and probably my computer's on-board sound, but no amps, EQs or anything.

Portability is very important since these will be for commuting, listening to music in the office, and cross-country flights. So something that I can throw in my backpack or shirt pocket would be nice.

Isolation is something that I'd like a little of so that I don't have to turn the volume up so much and to help a little with jet engine noise, but I don't want so much that I can't hear my office phone ring, or my co-workers standing in my doorway yelling my name.

I want something that is durable. I do not want something that is going to break within a year. I am not hard on equipment, but I just can't deal with something more fragile than the Zune. I also do not like the thought of one of those IEMs breaking off in my ear.

I listen to all types of rock and metal, and the occasional (as in maybe 6 times a year) classical, jazz and funk. 95% of my collection is 320kbps MP3s, with some down to 192kbps.

I am located in the US.

I am willing spend up to around $100, but if there are products that you think would make me happy for less, please throw them out there. In the past, I have only used on-ear headphones of dubious quality, so anything should be better than what I have experience with.

I have small ear canals, and don't really like wearing foam earplugs for work, so I'm a little leery of IEMs. But I can see myself using some of the shallow ones, if they are very comfortable. I would rather not have to track down some special tips in order to get comfort, but I will do what I have to, so suggest as you see fit.

I used to play drums, so I am partial to something with good definition, which I don't think I've ever had in a set of headphones. I do not like muddy low definition bass or artificial/harsh highs, but I am not an audiophile like a lot of people on this board. I guess I like a slightly exaggerated low end, flat middle, and pretty flat high end (maybe a small bump), but it all needs to be as clean as possible. You know, so I can really hear my crappy metal mp3s
biggrin.gif
I understand that it will probably be hard to find this in my price range, but since I'm coming from crap, I should be easy to impress.

I'm real good at researching something to death for a month or two before buying something, but I’m trying to push myself out of that habit and you can help!

Here is what I have found from my two days of searching, please confirm these as good choices for my application, or tell me to strike them off my list. I'm also open to more suggestions, but I would like to narrow my list down to as few as possible.

MeElectronics Ai-M6 - $40
NuForce NE-6 - $40
V-Moda Vibe - $45
MAXIMO iM-590 - $50
V-Moda Vibe Duo - $55
V-Moda Viibe II - $85
CrossRoads MylarOne X3 - $? (did not see them for sale anywhere)
Cyclone PR1 Pro - $? (did not see them for sale anywhere)
Soundmagic PL50 - $75
Klipsch IMAGE S4 - $80
Denon AHC751 - $100
Monster Turbine - $110
Shure SE210 - $110

Neglecting Isolation, taking any cons regarding my application for the following,

Koss PortaPro - $35
Grado iGrado - $50
Sennheiser HD 228 - $60
Sennheiser HD 238 - $90
Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 - $90
Denon AH-D1001 - $110

Yuin PK3 - $45 (not really sold on buds, but open to suggestions)
Yuin PK2 - $75 (not really sold on buds, but open to suggestions)
Yuin G2A - $50 (not really sold on clip-ons, but open to suggestions)

I will probably also be buying a set of Grado SR60i for home and maybe office use just because I'm intrigued by them, but they will not be my portable set.

Finally, a huge thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide!

Dec 10, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 19
If they're anything like my MS1s, iGrado's are probably not a good choice if you want isolation or will be listening to them on a plane. They are open 'phones so they both leak lots of noise and let lots in. (I'm not sure about the PortaPro, but if it's open it'll have the same problem).

Dec 10, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #6 of 19
Wow, looks like you have done your research
wink.gif

Your Soundmagics seem a little overpriced though - FocalPrice currently has them for $55 and theres a $10 off coupon in effect until the end of the month.

You mentioned that you'd want a little bit of isolation. While i don't think anything but IEMs can truly tune out jet engines, the iGrados are definitely not the way to go. They have zero isolation. Zilch. None. The Portas are almost as bad. In terms of portable headphones I'll recommend the JVC HA-M750, AKG K81Dj, or even the Denon AH-D1001k. The latter isolates least of the three (by far) but is the most comfortable.

Among the IEMs I'm particularly partial to the Ai-M6 and Maximos for metal, but all of the ones you mentioned are great (except the Mylars - haven't tried those).

Dec 10, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 19
Yeah, for plane use I'd scratch off those headphones off the list, neither of them will isolate much at all. For a headband headphone I'd say something like ES7 (which btw would fit your musical preferences well IMO) is the minimum level of isolation I'd take for planes. Don't bother with the Yuins either for isolation. IEM's are more ideal for plane use overall.

Dec 10, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 19
I figured the last few (from the PortaPro down) wouldn't be good on a plane (the on-ears I have are pretty bad on a plane), but if you guys told me that you didn't think any of the IEMs would be good for my application, then I was willing to just accept that I wouldn't have isolation. I put them in the list so that people could shoot them down if they didn't think they would match my application (other than isolation).

Of the headband phones that Joker mentions, I like the Denon AH-D1001 - $110 best, but so far, I plan to try the IEMs for portable use. I'm just concerned about build quality and comfort on the IEMs. I will admit that I was leaning towards the S4s when I posted, because they appear that they probably have a sound that I would like and they are supposedly very comfortable, but I just read about the 100hrs of burn-in required, and that some people still experience some sibilance, which from the definitions I've read seems like something that would be very annoying to me.

I will also add the Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 - $90 to my list, they look interesting. I thought for sure some people would start shooting down some of the IEMs I choose for my application, but I must have chosen more carefully than I thought.

As to a question on any of my prices, they are pretty much all from Amazon. I put them in my posts, so knowledgeable people such as you guys can point me to better deals, like Joker did (thanks!). I know from other forums that once you get up to speed in a community, you kind of forget how little a newbie knows. You guys know of where the good vendors are, so I'm depending on you to guide me in the right direction.

Again thanks for all of the input. I hope you guys don't tire of my neediness too soon.

Dec 10, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #9 of 19
Well, you know what you like best so there's really noone better out there to eliminate phones from your list. You're off to a good start with listing the cons of the S4
wink.gif
. You can maybe eliminate the Cyclones if durability is a prime concern - noone around here has had them long enough to make any concrete conclusions about their longevity.

If you don't want to risk having to send them in for warranty service, you may want to eliminate the Nuforces as well - I had problems with both my NE-7M and NE-6. Although Nuforce's CS was awesome about getting them replaced, I understand that some people just don't want to be bothered. I also really don't find the PL50s ideal for metal. For vocal-based music - yes; they are great. For metal - not so much.

Dec 10, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #10 of 19
Yeah. I know that no one knows what I like better than I do, but I have absolutely no experience with any kind of decent headphones.

Now that my list is reduced, is there a major difference between the lower-end IEMs, and the higher-end IEMs in the list? Could you guys list some characteristics of each for my comparison, or am I going to be searching the forums for that kind of info? I know it is annoying to repeat it over and over to newbies.

Here's the updated list,

MeElectronics Ai-M6 - $40
MAXIMO iM-590 - $50
Denon AHC751 - $100
Monster Turbine - $110
Shure SE210 - $110

Does anyone have direct experience with the Yuin PK3, PK2, or G2A in an application like mine? I read that the PK3 is really bass heavy, so I was thinking that it probably would be on the muddy side for replicating fast double-bass and tom work. So the PK2 sounded like a better fit. I still have a bit of reading to do on these too. I assume that if I get a decent set of comfortable IEMs, the Yuin stuff would drop off the list.

I still see a lot of reading ahead of me.

Dec 11, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #11 of 19
I've never heard the original monster turbine, but if they sound close to the turbine pro, that's the way I'd go with your budget, I think the turbine pro's are the best iem for under 300, period, but of course, that's my ears. I love the signature, geat for any music. Not sure if any members own both.

Dec 13, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #15 of 19
A lot of people have had their V-Modas break within months ; will they last more than a year ? I doubt it. The Senn HD238 are pretty solid and comfortable , and even though they are open , they isolate better than you think. The ES7's have great sound , but they do lack some comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back