Another newbie looking for recommendations
Nov 27, 2007 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

klrwlf

New Head-Fier
I'm sure this is similar to a hundred other posts, but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for...recommendations for first "decent" pair of headphones.

Details:

1) Driven from Creative Zen VisionM 80% of time. No amp, no plans of buying one right now. Other 20% is computer driven.

2) Closed is a must as I don't want to bother those around me when I fly.

3) While portability is nice, comfort is MUCH more important. My head is a hair bigger than average and I can't stand the way my current headphones "squeeze" my head. When I'm flying, I'm in the air for 4-6 hours at a time.

4) I'm not hung up on deep bass. I much prefer quality than quantity. I Listen to ALL kinds of music, but primarily punk and metal. More often than not you'll find me listening to Social Distortion or Tool

5) Budget, not trying to break the bank. Sub $200 would be nice.

I've been looking at the A900, RP-21, and HD 25-1 II but I certainly don't want to rule anything out. Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 27, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 19
Honestly, I won't rule anything out. Heck, if I could get a decent portable amp and headphones for $300 I wouldn't even object to that. I just want to get the best sound I can considering how little money I have to spend.

So, yeah, those are certainly an option.

matt

Nov 27, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #4 of 19
I'm actually in a similar situation as you, both that I'm flying round trip across the USA every couple weeks and owning a Creative Zen Vision:M. I would Strongly recommend an IEM due to the higher sound isolation. It makes listening to music much more enjoyable. I use ER-4p's unamped, but I do notice some SQ issues, especially with lots of bass or complex sounds.
Thus my purchase of a HEADSIX amp a couple weeks ago. Haven't had much time to test it, but I'm hoping this will help out with those issues. Overall though, I'm still very happy with my setup, with a very clean sound overall. Your desire for precise bass v. Lots of it fits very well with the Etymotics, or most good IEMs from what I've read here.
As far as recommendations, I would say try out the ER-6, which can be had <$100, or you can even go for the ER-4p for <$200. If you would like to add an amp to that mix, you can get one starting at about $100, though I'm not sure how much improvement they'll provide since the ERs are so easy to drive. Ill try to post some impressions on what effect, if any, the HEADSIX makes for me.

Nov 27, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 19
Based on what you said, the HD25-1 will fit the bill. Good sound, tight bass, good isolation, light ad portable, easy to sleep in, no amp needed.

Mine get used daily.

Nov 28, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 19
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely give some consideration to the ERs. Right now I'm leaning towards the HD25-1. I've been trying to read as much as possible around here, and I haven't found too many bad reviews for the HD. Not too mention, I'm sure I WILL buy an amp one of these days, and they should sound even better.

Nov 28, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #7 of 19
What about Shure's SE310s? I own the SE210s and they sound fantastic for the price so if you go a step better than mine, all you will receive is pure pleasure. The isolation on the 210s are incredible so the 310s will be just as good. Also there is no amp needed. Good luck.

Nov 28, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #9 of 19
Based on logic, I would personally get a pair of HD-25-1. That way, if you ever want to upgrade, you could sell the senns. I don't think that livewires have a great resale value. (Not to tempt you, but I think the general assumption of head-fi is the longer you stay, the more you want to upgrade...I know that that's my affliction/addiction).

Nylan

EDIT: Sorry if it seems contradictory to my original question, but I was mostly playing devil's advocate with the original post. Another option may be a universal fit IEM, such as the new q-jays, Atrio M5's, SE310's, Westone UM2's, Etymotic ER4-S...those should all be in your price-range, can be resold, and are proven...they just all sound different. Sorry to make it more confusing). The HD-25-1's would still be a great option (based on reviews, etc.).

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #10 of 19
I think Nylan's logic may have just swayed me from the canalphones. I too have an "addictive side" and know that I'll want to upgrade in the future. Chances are, I'll end up with a good pair of canalphones in the future as well. But I really do want to start off with something that serves an all-around purpose while meeting the original criteria.

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #11 of 19
I have a pair of Audio Technica A900s. They're far from portable, as they're quite large. But they are closed and sound very good in my opinion. They don't require an amp, nor will they benefit much at all from one. I find them extremely comfortable. The aren't bass heavy, so it sounds like they might fit your listening preferences. They usually run about $200, so they'd be at the top of your range.

The nice thing about having giant circumaural headphones on a plane is that they are a major deterrent to annoying people who might otherwise try to talk your ear off.
biggrin.gif

Good luck.

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #12 of 19
Well, having had green hair and blue eyebrows in the past, I'm not too concerned what the A900s would look like on my head. hahaha. As mentioned, I'm more into the sound, comfort, and the durability. While I don't intend to be throwing them around, they would certainly need to be able to withstand a short time in a back pack or laptop bag. If they are WAY more comfortable than the HD25s then I would certainly entertain the idea of a larger set.

Nov 29, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #13 of 19
I travel with mine occasionally, so they get tossed into my luggage. The only problem I've had is that one of the little clips that presses down on your head keeps coming off. It snaps back on fairly easily, but it's a pain when I have to keep rummaging through my bag to find it. Amazing I haven't lost it yet.

Nov 29, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #14 of 19
so with grados and annoy everyone around you to your hearts content.

Nov 29, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #15 of 19
dam. meant to spell "go" instead of so. not that funny anyways....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back