Another new amp advice question.
Nov 23, 2023 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Sterkoff

New Head-Fier
My THX 789 has bit the dust and so I am looking for a new balanced (well, balanced cable ready) desktop amp.. A few points which will hopefully help narrow down suggestions:

My current gear (I'm a lower mid-fi guy, I know):

Massdrop THX789 (now dead)
Massdrop Cavalli LCX
Sennheiser HD6xx
Hifiman Sundara
Geshelli Labs JNOG2 Dac
SMSL D6 Dac

I am looking for a balanced amp because I currently have some nice balanced cables for all my headphones.

For this use case I will always be listening with my computer and using EQ settings with APO/Peace.

I previously used the THX 789 most of the time but switched to the LCX when I wanted a slightly warmer sound and when listening to some older mid-century Jazz and other lesser audio quality music where the THX 789 was a bit too honest.

It would be easy to just grab the Topping A90D or A70pro and call it a day (which I still might do), but I imagine with all the recent products that have been released there must be something in the $200-$300 range that would satisfy as a replacement for the 789.

A few amps for example that have caught my interest:

Geshelli Erish2
Schiit Midgard
Topping A30pro
Topping L70

TIA!

Nov 23, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 2
I have all the ones you mention. The best value is the Sabaj a20h for $63 on Amazon and it would replace your THX789 perfectly. I have one and it's a killer value. The A90d and A70pro sound identical. I prefer the original A90 because they both (have two) have .1db channel matching, simple operation, and silky smooth volume wheel vs digital golf clicker style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back