Another Nano vs. Touch thread
Feb 11, 2008 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Tgun5

Head-Fier
I currently have the 8gb Nano which I purchased because of the thread here trashing the sound quality of the Touch. Trouble is, I can really use the other features of the touch and an still thinking about one.

I am interested in anyone that can confirm that the Touch sounds as good as the Nano using the line-out only. I do not listen using the headphone jack so this is a mute point.

Also would like to know if the hiss/background noise problem is that bad because the Grados do highlight that frequency range potentially amplifying the problem.

I also read that the Touch has a dedicated line-out??. If so, do the Nano dock line out cords work on the touch?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Feb 11, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #2 of 13
The LOD's of 3G+ ipods all work on the new iPods, including touch.

I have the touch and the Dock sounds very good, the headphone port has a bit of hiss to it though and is not nearly as extended or clean. I had a 30GB 5G before the touch and it did not have as clean of a Line-out.

I think that the general concensus is that the Line out dock is very good, while the headphone port is not as much. You can always find a female line out and use headphones directly through there (you may want a Vol. control though). Personally, I like using an amp.

Feb 11, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #3 of 13
So are the dock pinouts are the same on the Nano and the iTouch?

Feb 11, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #4 of 13
Sorry, I missed the very first line of your response. DUH.

Feb 11, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #5 of 13
i use lod on both nano and touch. both sound wonderful. the nano is the least hissy of any portable i have heard: beating even the d2 i used to own.

however, the touch serves up much better bass response than the nano from the headout. both sound phenomenal from lod and amp

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #6 of 13
Does the touch sound worse than the classic through the LOD?
I tend to buy one ...
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #7 of 13
Im with everybody on this one, I have both and they both sound very good, the touch has a bit more hiss than the nano, but I think it has a tiny bit bigger sound stage. The hiss on my touch is low enough I don't notice it on my shure E530's and I have an exceptional hearing range
biggrin.gif
Both sound excellent to these ears, just don't use the EQ. I love my jailbroken touch more than my sheltie 'Zero'
IMG_0610.jpg

Picture022.jpg

Aw just kidding Zero!
biggrin.gif

hope he doesn't read this!

He looks like satans spawn, I guess I missed the red eye reduction on that pic.

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 13
yeah, touch has been bashed since it is a flashy apple product. if it were samsung (p2 for instance, it would be getting rave reviews). it sounds good, tests as well as any other player out there, in fact better than quite a few (i will have my tests up later on). for majority from headphone out, it did better than my d2 (5/6 or so) from rmaa

edit: sorry, should have mentioned that the line out with amp takes away any drop off raults and gets better separation. you go from very good to great

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #9 of 13
not really on topic because the OP doesn't use headphone out, but i found the classic to have more soundstage without an amp, and the touch to be more precise. I'd prefer to get the touch too if I could afford the 32gb version, but I'd miss the soundstage whenever I'm not using an amp.

not really on topic, but i think it's supposed to be "moot" point, not "mute."

Mar 1, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #11 of 13
"Im with everybody on this one, I have both and they both sound very good, the touch has a bit more hiss than the nano, but I think it has a tiny bit bigger sound stage. The hiss on my touch is low enough I don't notice it on my shure E530's and I have an exceptional hearing range Both sound excellent to these ears, just don't use the EQ. I love my jailbroken touch more than my sheltie 'Zero' "

I have the SE530 with Touch. I would say the hiss is annoying when music is not playing, i.e. when a song ends in silence. Its unnoticeable when music is on though.

Mar 1, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by umgoblue2008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Im with everybody on this one, I have both and they both sound very good, the touch has a bit more hiss than the nano, but I think it has a tiny bit bigger sound stage. The hiss on my touch is low enough I don't notice it on my shure E530's and I have an exceptional hearing range Both sound excellent to these ears, just don't use the EQ. I love my jailbroken touch more than my sheltie 'Zero' "

I have the SE530 with Touch. I would say the hiss is annoying when music is not playing, i.e. when a song ends in silence. Its unnoticeable when music is on though.

Well I will say this is my 4th touch and I have noticed some sonic differences between them. The first one hissed quite a bit and my screen was defective on that one. My second one was quieter, but the home button broke. My third one had more hiss than my sony A818, and that one was stolen and the one I have now is pretty quiet- less hiss than my 5.5 but slightly more than my nano. Of course these were not night and day differences, but enough for me to notice with my shures and sensitive ears.

Mar 4, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #13 of 13
amazing - i know that ihatepopupads (long name mate!) had trouble with the touch before - sounds a sad story but to have a touch that hisses less than 5.5 which is quite a low hiss floor player compared to many i have heard. my touch hisses more than any 5.5 i have heard, but only by a bit. it is still on the good side of the tracks, much less hiss than my sony 615 for instance and the 818 i heard.

my nano is king of what i have heard for hiss - very very small indeed. both however have been estimated by apple incorrectly for battery life.

nano 24 hours - i get over 30
touch 22 hours - i just passed 25 hours and will go to bed and not test any further, but i would guess it may make its way to 26 or 25.5. maybe even further. they seem to underestimate their batteries lately which is good? i am not sure.

but i like the fact that my nano at 24 hours rated gets almost as good life as my d2 that was rated for 52 hours!

with the dock, they are both phenomenal sounding (without as well - if you can just bother liking nuetral music)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back