Another MPX3 convert
Mar 10, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #16 of 24
Congrats on your new amp! Let us know about any changes as the BG's burn in. Also about the good deals you get on the 12sn7 tubes.

Mar 10, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
The 12sn7 tubes are even better than the 6sn7's, IMO.
smily_headphones1.gif
I will be trying another tube type in one of my mpx3's soon.

That statement brings a smile to my face.
biggrin.gif
Nothing like living with a SinglePower amp...bliss
600smile.gif

Mar 10, 2005 at 11:32 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoboomofo
I was thinking that if - down the road - I want a speaker setup, and a preamp, then I would pass the mpx3 along, and go for a Supra . That's when I'd go all out for an upgrade. I like the balance on my rig right now though.

btw, I've decided on level 1 power, and Jensen caps, and a bit of a circuit update (I've got an older version). It's been discussed with Mikhail, who's generous with his advice time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, Mikhail is really extraordinary.

I just pretty much have the most popular options (see my public), and I can't compare to any else: There are not that many units in Europe either for that matter.

I don't think of any particular upgrades really, as far as the MPX3 is concerned. I'm quite content with the way it is right now. Perhaps a different cord for the 650's later. Mind you, tuberolling only though, is a true rollercoaster: immensely fun! I have some combinations left to try, both 12V and 6V, but I have a hunch that the Ken-Rad/Sylvania's VT-231 will still be very hard to beat. But it is also very much a question of sound preferences.

Mar 11, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
The 12sn7 tubes are even better than the 6sn7's, IMO.
smily_headphones1.gif
I will be trying another tube type in one of my mpx3's soon. I have to have it modded for a higher heater current then I am ready to go. Once I receive my custom adapters I will be trying loctal 7n7/14n7 tubes too. The loctals are the same as the 6sn7 electrically but with a special loctal locking base. This tube is reputed to sound even better than the 6/12sn7. We will see!

Congratulations woodcans, I havent heard any amp that is around the mpx3's price that offers better sound quality. The amp only gets better with time.
cool.gif

I can't wait to try out some of the 12 volt tubes for sure. This loctal adapter sounds quite interesting. In my short experience, tuberolling is a blast and if all I need is an adapter for even more variety, that's pretty damn sweet. Can't wait to hear what you think of these tubes.

As far as the amp getting better with time - it sounds so good right now that I can definitely be patient
600smile.gif

Mar 11, 2005 at 11:16 AM Post #20 of 24
Quick update. The bass depth, detail and seperation is already phenomenal. On Keane's "Your Eyes Open" the bass guitar is deep, full and articulate and easily seperated from the low piano notes played simultaneously. The impact of the piano keys even on the low notes is beautiful. ...must keep listening...
600smile.gif

Mar 12, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
...I have a hunch that the Ken-Rad/Sylvania's VT-231 will still be very hard to beat...

They're also very hard to upgrade, unless you like plonking down for Tung-Sols. I'm going to stick with the same combo you have whether I like it or not I guess
frown.gif

Mar 12, 2005 at 7:53 AM Post #22 of 24
I just hooked in a Michael Wolff Gain Cord power cord the other day and matched it with a Carbon Source on my CD player...nice combo! Very smooth and detailed...nice synergy with the MPX3. The bass is also more prominent, in a good way.

Powercords tried so far: Audience, VH Audio, Harmonic Tech AC11

Mar 14, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #23 of 24
Yeah, the Tung-Sol's are pretty extraordinary in their niche. That being very linear, clear and open. However, I find that other tubes in different combinations have a lot to offer. Because, e.g. recordings are different. And please, let’s skip the endless and futile discussion about objective natural sound reproduction: It does not exist.
plainface.gif
The legendary Tung-Sol's are definitely very, very good, but not always optimal IMO. The Sylvania VT-231 are still the out-put reference everything else is measured against in MPX3's as far as I am concerned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoboomofo
They're also very hard to upgrade, unless you like plonking down for Tung-Sols. I'm going to stick with the same combo you have whether I like it or not I guess
frown.gif

Mar 14, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
Yeah, the Tung-Sol's are pretty extraordinary in their niche. That being very linear, clear and open. However, I find that other tubes in different combinations have a lot to offer. Because, e.g. recordings are different. And please, let’s skip the endless and futile discussion about objective natural sound reproduction: It does not exist.
plainface.gif
The legendary Tung-Sol's are definitely very, very good, but not always optimal IMO. The Sylvania VT-231 are still the out-put reference everything else is measured against in MPX3's as far as I am concerned.

I agree about the Sylvania VT-231's. I have tired countless tubes in the power slots and have yet find any that can compete with them in my SDS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back