Another MP3 Player Comparison
Nov 17, 2003 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 8
Pft. Cruddy, if you don't mind me saying so. A case of a journo "reviewing" hardware based on specs and pictures but not actually having used the items. Bit pointless unless people have more money than sense. Couple of models I'd not heard of there though so thanks for that.

P

Nov 17, 2003 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by pomegranate
Pft. Cruddy, if you don't mind me saying so. A case of a journo "reviewing" hardware based on specs and pictures but not actually having used the items. Bit pointless unless people have more money than sense. Couple of models I'd not heard of there though so thanks for that.

P

Why should I mind? I just stumbled across the piece during my morning news review. I neither wrote it nor read it but, seeing the topic, thought it might be of interest to some here.

Nov 17, 2003 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

7. PHILIPS HDD 100 (£349)
Most hard drive-based MP3s try to emulate the iPod. Much to its credit, Philips has taken a different tack. Fitting comfortably in a pocket, the smart black and silver unit can hold around 3,000 songs. 4/5

Taken a different tack how? By have a white on black LCD screen? By not having any interesting features? Are they even using the word "tack" correctly?

Nothing against the original poster of the review, but the 20 seconds it will take you to realize the reviewer didn't know what he was talking about are probably better spent re-reading an old post on head-fi.

stripe/ben

Nov 17, 2003 at 9:38 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by stripe
Taken a different tack how? By have a white on black LCD screen? By not having any interesting features? Are they even using the word "tack" correctly?

Nothing against the original poster of the review, but the 20 seconds it will take you to realize the reviewer didn't know what he was talking about are probably better spent re-reading an old post on head-fi.

stripe/ben

In this context the word "tack" refers to a course of action, so it was used properly.

Sorry for the consternation I seem to be causing. As always, no offense was intended, and I've deleted the link to the article.

Nov 17, 2003 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 8
Well... This is a review from the Times. What do you expect. I'm sure James Bond would read The Independent these days
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2003 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
Well... This is a review from the Times. What do you expect. I'm sure James Bond would read The Independent these days
biggrin.gif

And do you suppose he would value Charlie Arthur's views any more than those of the Times reviewer?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back