Another mod to the D66 Eggos...
Jul 8, 2003 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

RockysDad

Head-Fier
I'm not sure if anyone has tried this yet but here's my take on trying to get these phones to be just right to my ears. I do like the clear highs and somewhat tight bass but sometimes they can get too bright and shrilly. My take on this is that, if you can cut the high frequencies down a bit, that would take care of the over brightness and level out the spectrum, thus getting a little more bass (precieved bass, that is). Here's what I tried and hope someone can verify to see if I'm on to something.

1) Find an old pair of headphone foam ear pads and cut them into strips about .75"x1.5".

2) Install the strip horizontally right in the middle of the cavity. Find the "shallow end" and tuck one end of the foam strip in the doughnut pad to secure it. The driver is in the middle and we are trying to cover that up a bit with the foam strip. Let the other end of the strip go to the end of the "deep side" but not bunch up there ( this could cause some bass loss). You could try to use some double sticky tape to secure it, if you like.

3) Give it a listen. Try moving the strip around to different locations, cut the width if you think its too wide, etc. The point is to find out where the sweet spot is in terms of cutting some brightness out and gaining some bass to boot.

I ended up with a strip about .5" wide and placed about where I think it would cover the bottom half of the driver. This did cut some the shrill a bit and the low end was just a bit more pronounced. But as usual, YMMV...

I'm going to listen to this a bit more then try to figure out how to place this strip more permanantly. The good thing about this is if you don't like it, just throw it away; no damage gets done to the phones.

Anyone care to try it? Please report back with your findings. TIA...

Jul 8, 2003 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by RockysDad
I'm not sure if anyone has tried this yet but here's my take on trying to get these phones to be just right to my ears. I do like the clear highs and somewhat tight bass but sometimes they can get too bright and shrilly. ..

With my D-77's, I took some cotton (rolled absorbent cotton) and stuffed it into the chamber from the back side of the phones. Works very well. Cuts down a little on the brightness and smooths out the bass.

Jul 8, 2003 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 8
i did this with packing foam in the back of my d66s as well
smily_headphones1.gif

i like the results

Jul 8, 2003 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Dweebgal
i did this with packing foam in the back of my d66s as well
smily_headphones1.gif

i like the results

I believe that cotton is probably better, because of the very soft nature of the material. It's much like fiberglass speaker sound-proofing.

Jul 8, 2003 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

I took some cotton (rolled absorbent cotton) and stuffed it into the chamber from the back side of the phones

Can someone define "back side"? Did you actually open up the back side behind the silver plate to stuff it? How did you do this?

Maybe I can stick this foam in as well...

Jul 8, 2003 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by RockysDad
Can someone define "back side"? Did you actually open up the back side behind the silver plate to stuff it? How did you do this?

Maybe I can stick this foam in as well...

This is a D-77, but the D-66 may be different. Take off the ear-pads. You will see a couple of Phillips-type screws (you'll need a small Phillips screwdriver). Remove them and take care not to lose them! The 'back' side is now free, and i can be removed. there is a 'lip' that attaches at the bottom, be sure to note this. You now have access to the chamber which you can stuff with whatever soft filler you want. Just be careful not to over-do it. Just a little goes a long way!

Then replace the screws and ear-pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back