Another Mahler - Disney connection
May 31, 2008 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Masonjar

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, even MY KIDS could recognize that the tune from "Be Our Guest" from Beauty and the Beast was lifted from the first movement of Mahler's 3rd, and a few others across the internet have also made that connection, but the one I've most recently discovered is a little more subtle and may or may not be a coincidence.. those that have both recordings should give a listen and judge for yourself.

From The Little Mermaid.. the song "Poor Unfortunate Souls" sung by the Sea Witch has always had a vibe to it, like I'd heard it before but couldn't figure out where.. it has this kind of slinky feel to it.. all of a sudden it hit me today that it was VERY Mahlerian.. and it struck me further that it was one of his songs that I was thinking of.. but which one.. I finally couldn't help myself and dug out my Fischer-Dieskau disc with Karl Bohm and went through the songs until I found it.. yes.. it's the 3rd song from KINDERTOTENLIEDER "Wenn dein Mutterlein" - it's more just the feel of it than anything... yes, the Disney song is faster, but there's a connection there, I swear, whether it was intentional or not.. check it out if you can.

Maybe I'm off my rocker with this one, but.. I dunno. there's something there.

-Mason

Jun 4, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 3
Mahler has had a lot of melodies and motifs lifted from his works into more contemporary pieces. A very famous GE jingle is taken right from the finale of his 2nd symphony.

This is pretty common with a lot of post-Romantic composers of Mahler's era.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back