another "looking for earbuds" thread
Oct 8, 2008 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ishoulddie

New Head-Fier
Hi there, long time lurker, occasional poster. i'm looking for a new pair of earbuds to use with my 5.5G iPod. Until recently, i'd mainly been using a pair of AKG K314Ps. i liked them, but the buds themselves are rather large, so i feel like i keep having to re-adjust them sometimes. Sound-wise, they seem a bit thin, but good overall. Better than stock iPod buds, for sure. Foam pads bring out the bass a lot more, and they help fit better too. i made some "donut" pads myself, and those seemed to be the best overall.

Well, the left side on the AKGs doesn't seem to be working any more, so now i'm using a pair of JVC Gumys. The Gumys are a lot smaller, so they fit my ears a lot better. The sound isn't so hot, though. It's a lot more compressed and harsh, they can be pretty fatiguing. Better bass though, at least. Foam pads actually smooth the sound out a lot on these, but it still leaves a lot to be desired, compared to the AKGs.

So now i'm looking for a better set of buds. i liked the sound of the AKGs, but want something smaller, that will fit in my ear better. Been looking at Yuins, mainly the PK3. The PK2s sound like they'd be good, but people say that the bass is pretty lean. i like a good amount of bass, but not overpowering. Are the PK2s thin sounding, or are the PK3s just really bassy? Also considering the OK3, but from reviews, people say the OKs are bigger than the PKs, so i'm not sure if they'll be too big for me. Anything beyond the PK2 is going to be beyond my price range. (and even the PK2 is stretching it) i've also seen some new reasonably priced Audio-Technica buds on AudioCubes, but can't seem to find any info on them. (ATH-C500M and C710M) And i'm not looking for IEMs or canalphones, just to get that straight.

Anyways, sorry for the long post, i just figure the more background info i give, the better. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Oct 8, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 3
I have the PK3's and I wouldn't really call it very bassy. They're great earbuds, but I have a feeling I would have enjoyed the PK2's more. Between the sound quality of the ipod earphones and my Grado SR60's I'd say my Yuins are exactly in the middle.

Oct 9, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 3
PK2 definitely not lean in bass. it's ample with it. it's not boomy but tightly controlled. i can let the bass loss with EQ and BBE on my player.

if u want a fun earbud, definitely go for PK3. for more neutral sound, go for PK2. u can try OK3 too but i have no experience with OK series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back