Another "Looking for a DAP" thread...
Dec 21, 2007 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Rav

1000+ Head-Fier
I really hate having to post one of these type of threads, but this is making my head spin.

I'm looking to replace my Aiwa PCDP with a DAP of some description, but i'm the choosy sort
tongue.gif

My idea DAP would feature:
minimum 4gb, preferably 8+
not need any external software to transfer files
have a line out (via dock is fine)
gapless playback
sound at least decent from the hp out (plan to amp later)
sound good (duh)
be at least a little bit user friendly

Rockbox and FLAC support would be a bonus, but not essential. Not too bothered about flash or HDD, as they come. Don't really need or want video or an FM tuner.

So far from my research, it looks like my ideal player doesn't exist, so i'll probably have to compromize on some issues. Budget is in the order of £150 or less, and i'd prefer to buy new from the UK (to avoid import duties and to get a warranty).

Initially i'd use it with my livewires with no amp, so hiss could be an issue, but ultimately i plan to amp with either an RSA Tomahawk or iBasso P2.

Dec 21, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by DKaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sony NWZ-A818 meets every need but gapless. The sound is fantastic and I have not experienced ANY hiss on my IEMs. The line-out is via dock only (so far hopefully). Check out the review thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/so...review-276557/

Yep, that's one i've been looking at.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubenNYC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TrekStor vibez fits the bill except for the line out. Plays FLAC, too.

Advanced MP3 Players Trekstor Vibez 12GB MP3 Player

Hmm, interesting adding to the shortlist.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about an ipod and just slap Rockbox on it? it'll meet all of your requirements, though opinions differ on the headphone out quality.

Do you need rockbox to be able to use drag and drop? Also, how is the battery life? Would probably need 6-8 hrs minumum.

Dec 21, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you need rockbox to be able to use drag and drop? Also, how is the battery life? Would probably need 6-8 hrs minumum.

yes you do.

i believe that should be attainable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back