Another k701 amp recommendation thread.
Aug 23, 2009 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Chefano

100+ Head-Fier
Im sorry for bothering you with another thread about k701 amps, but Ive read hundreds of pages and still cant decide wich one best drives the 701.
Narrowed the search and got 4 amps.
$800 maximum budget.

- Audio-gd C-2C.
- Shanling PH1000
- Millett MOSFET-MAX
- Gilmore Lite (added)

Suggestions are welcomed
biggrin.gif

Thanks

PS: Source is my PC ( Onkyo SE-200 PCI), Canamp is out the list due to quality issues

Aug 23, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 21
The MOSFET-MAX does very well with the K701. I still prefer to equalize it a bit - programming in a bottom peak starting at about 100Hz, adding a dip centered around 10K, then leveling the whole spectrum. The K701 will clip/distort bass notes with equalization boosts on many other amps - even with leveling. Once leveled with those adjustments, it sounds pretty good - but it's still not my cup of tea.

Admittedly, the MOSFET-MAX is best as a Grado-killer. It's amazing how much bass it can pump out of a stock SR225 with bowls when most other amps just sizzle your ears. There's just something about the combination (super-high MOSFET current?) that brings out the best in them.
wink.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 21
Consonance cyber20 is good with the akg701s, this amp has an el84 output tube per channel connected as a triode used single ended through an output transformer with an ecc82 as an input, this amp seems to my ears to suit the highly detailed and open sounding akgs well, my other amp that i use is a mf v3 a hybrid amp, this amp produces a more open sound but lighter in weight with more treble emphasis, but at times can be a little tiring and bright, and too revealing, this however largely depends on the recording.

Aug 24, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heed Canamp?

I second. My K701 sounds great with CanAmp, better than with Sugden HeadMaster (more PRAT, better bass).

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #15 of 21
Chefano,

I don't have experience with none of those amps, but I have to say Shanling via eBay must be the cheapest option you have, and maybe worth to try (it may be my next upgrade).

Se comprar um desses e morar em São Paulo, não quer fazer um comparativo com o Compass aqui?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back