Another K1000 amp question
Jun 9, 2003 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Dan H

100+ Head-Fier
I'm into vintage amps to the point I probably need professional help, or a larger storage area. After reading old posts as to what is the best K1000 amp it looks like 3w is minimum? I know some have said that they need as much as ten watts. Others are using 2A3 SET amps with great results.
Is <5w enough? And what speaker output impedance is used?
I’m getting a little vintage integrated amp soon that has from 4 to 32 ohm out at <5w. Am thinking a headphone amp for the K1000 and Sennheiser HD600’s too.
Thanks Dan

Jun 10, 2003 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by Dan H
I'm into vintage amps to the point I probably need professional help, or a larger storage area. After reading old posts as to what is the best K1000 amp it looks like 3w is minimum? I know some have said that they need as much as ten watts. Others are using 2A3 SET amps with great results.
I’m getting a little vintage integrated amp soon that has from 4 to 32 ohm out at <5w. Am thinking a headphone amp for the K1000 and Sennheiser HD600’s too.
Thanks Dan

High Power need due to impedance problem when use power amps to drive it :

e.g 7W - It had around 7V

Power = 7 x7 /120 = 0.4W at 120 Ohm !

So a Dedicate amps design for AKG1000 may be need around 0.5W is OK (at 120 Ohm)

Jun 10, 2003 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 4
A Fisher 400 or 400-X would be a great option, especially if your into vintage. I use mine with HD600's, but also tried the K1000 at the Chicago meet and that combo was awesome. 400 had a bit warmer sound, 400-X better bass control (400-X uses EL34 output tubes). Depending on your budget you can usually find a 400 for $200-300, a beautiful fully modded (fisher doc) one can be found here on ebay:

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...&category=3279

Or the 400-X is at www.2baudio.com

Power output is in the neighborhood of 25 WPC. Another advantage is this unit sounds wonderful with speakers too, and of course includes a decent phono stage and excellent tuner.

Jun 21, 2003 at 4:12 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by Dan H
Thanks Dan

Dear Dan,

I am currently driving the K1000 with my Opera Cyber 30 which is a 2A3 SET amp. For Jazz/small ensemble music at reasonable loudness (loud enough for quiet environments), the 2A3 is very capable of driving the K1000. I am enjoying it very mcuh as I write this. 280smile:
But if you need to be able to drive the K1000 with a broad spectrum of music and at louder levels, then I would say that the 2A3 is a little underpowered. I use the 8 ohm tap. I have tried the 4 ohm tap and I find that the bass is better but my output transformers got a lot hotter and so I switched back.
There are numrous posts on what power tube amps are best for K1000. I suggest you do a search for K1000 and tube amps in Hed-Fi. In general, the consensus is that a low output impedance and high voltage is best (min 7 volts or equivalent 7-8 watts rms/channel into 8 ohms).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back