Another "is this ebay Hakko 936 real?" thread, the listing edition
Aug 13, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #16 of 17
It's here! It's here!

...Actually, it came in yesterday, but I only managed to get a chance to take pictures today. Some of these are really blurry, but after repeatedly trying to get good shots of them I decided that those were going to be the best shots I could get. Anyways...

Shots of the front of the station, honestly this picture and my camera's flash really brought out all the imperfections of this unit, normally it just seems to be in pretty good shape, dustiness aside.

Here's a top shot, because I can. Plug seems to be in line with real Hakkos.

Here's a rear label shot. If you couldn't tell, I had a hell of a time trying to catch it on camera, but I guess this one should tell you the relevant details well enough.

I've noticed that the temperature control seems to be locked as I can't seem to adjust the temperature of the unit currently. Unfortunately, it seems like the locking unit has been damaged, so I might need to replace that if possible. In any case, here's a shot of where the locking nut should be.

Moving on, here's a shot of the iron, perhaps a little worse for wear.

Here's a shot of the plug of the thing. It's very blurry, but the unit itself seems to be a dustier variation of a real Hakko iron.

Here's a close up of the front of the iron, as well as another perspective shot of the plug. The front also seems to be in line with real Hakkos, albeit a dirtier version in this case.

Heating element (blurry again I know)...

Annnddd here's a shot of the whole unit itself, fully set up together save for not actually being plugged in.

Anyways, besides the fight that I probably just killed someone's 56k connection (I can't see anything on how to do thumbnails here, sorry), what are everyone's thoughts and questions on this thing? It seems to be real, but am I going to be stuck at 600 F forever and ever? Do I really need to figure out how to do non-blurry close-ups?
tongue.gif

Aug 15, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #17 of 17
Just tested it out, and it does indeed work. I was going to buy a stand but after managing to take a look at what should be a Radio Shack copy I decided that I wasn't sure if it'd work. Anyways, I improvised with a kitchen sponge managed to break off a piece and burn off about an inch and change of the stuff. I didn't know what to expect, but the end result was a little messy. I think I wiped it off too much on the test and immediately the body bit of it that showed had some oxidation in it from what I could tell, the tip tip of it is mostly clean save for a few flecks of oxidation on the side, so I assume it's still usable.

I think I'm going to try to write an email to Hakko about the knob(s) in order to try to procure some replacements parts somehow.

Edit: Actually, scratch that, a bit more cleaning and the tip seems to be pristine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back