Another iPod/NJB3/Zen thread
Dec 6, 2002 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

minya

Headphoneus Supremus
I read a few of the older threads, but I still have a couple questions of my own...

I'm trying to decide between these three players. They seem like the best. The iPod sure as hell looks great, and I love the way it feels/etc., but it's $475. No matter which way you slice it, that price is hard to swallow when the other 20GB players are more than 200 dollars less.

I hear much praise about the NJB3's sound quality, and it looks like it has a great battery life. But it looks clunky as hell - and it weighs 14 oz. Almost 1 pound! That's quite a bit for a "portable" player, especially if I want to use it while I'm bikeriding or something (PS - anyone know if this is feasible? Or is it a better idea to invest in a cheapie flash player than use a HD-based player?) And it has a line-out - I'll probably be usin the player with one of the supermini META amps.

The Zen looks almost as good as the iPod and is almost the same size. How is the battery length and the sound quality? Is there a line-out? Either of the Jukeboxes is far easier to digest price-wise, with even the Zen topping off at $280 after rebates from Amazon.

I'd appreciate any input. I plan to use these while walking, at home, and probably doing physical activity, too (esp. bikeriding). As I asked before, can anyone tell me how these guys operate when they're being lugged around like this? I know they're not prone to skipping, but they do have moving parts.

Any information/opinions appreciated.

- Chris

Dec 6, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 16
Hi Chris.

No line out on the Zen. I've heard out of the headphone out it sounds the same as the NJB3, So if you don't need the extra battery slot or the option of removing the batteries, or the line out and recording features, then the zen would work.

Don't know how either hold up as far as the activity you propose, but there are a lot of complaints about the 10 and 20 gig ipods locking up after around 37 minutes when running. The ipod also sounds fabo;ous, but I prefer the sound of the older ipods to the newer ones.

Dec 7, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #4 of 16
Well I highly disagree with the statement that the JB3 has long battery life. I get 10 hours tops with it. Now, granted it has an expansion bay for a second battery but that is something else you have to purchase.

The sound quality is top-notch. We have an I-Pod on display at my place of work and while it is good, it just doesn't match the JB3. I also dislike the new scroll wheel on the I-Pod, I don't like the heat sensing or whatever it is that the I-Pod scroll wheel uses. Not that I'm trying to flame the I-Pod, I just perfer the JB3 over it. You also get alot more storage for your buck with the JB3 and if your an organized freak like I am, the JB3 has a much better organized playlist view. However, I miss being able to view the tracks by:

Artist
-Album Title
-Tracks by order on album
-Album Title

instead of:

Artist
-Tracks in alphabetical order

or:

Album
-Tracks in order of album

a minor gripe but realize the I-Pod doesn't offer this feature either.

And as far as size goes. Sure, the JB3 is big, heck it's pretty huge. However, I have never had trouble fitting the player into my shorts, khakis, or jeans pockets. My opinion is that as long as I can fit it into my pocket then size is irrelevant.

Trust me, I did my fair share of homework when deciding which MP3 player to purchase, nearly 30 hours to be exact. After, compiling all the facts I decided that the JB3 was the right one for me. Since purchasing it, I see my homework payed off because I am completly and totally happy with my purchase. Like I said, I have nothing against the I-Pod, it's just that the I-Pod simply did not seem like the right choice to make.

I hope that didn't come out as being a basher on the I-Pod, Mac still makes great products.

Hope this helps you!

-Jared

Dec 7, 2002 at 6:23 AM Post #5 of 16
Actually Jared, you can view the songs of an album on an ipod in the order they appear on the album. You just have to adjust the IDV3 tags accordingly.

Can you go into a little detail on why you prefer the NJB3 sound to that of the ipod?

Dec 7, 2002 at 6:34 AM Post #6 of 16
Thanks for the information, everyone. I appreciate it. I think what I'm going to do is head down to CompUSA/Best Buy tomorrow and give them a hands-on test... I have to say form factor/size is pretty critical in my decision, because I want something really easily portable. Oh well. I'll see. I'm leaning towards the Zen, mainly because of the price. The 10GB ipod is appealing, however...

does the Zen come with a remote?

Thanks,
- Chris

Dec 8, 2002 at 4:09 AM Post #7 of 16
I don't think the Zen comes with a remote, but there supposedly is one TBA. I know I might get flamed for this, but Hard drive based MP3 players are not recommended to be used while jogging, mountain biking, etc. I think by doing so, you shorten the life-span of your device.

Another thing to consider, is that the NJB3 is the only player with replaceable batteries. Both the Zen and Ipod have non-replaceable batteries, so once the battery life goes kaput, you end up with a very expensive paperweight
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok, that's abit smug, you would still be able to use it with its AC Adapter, but no more portable listening, which was the whole point in the first place, no? It is possible that the Ipod, and the Zen for that matter, may sometime in the future start a battery replacement plan, but there are no guarantees.

You can purchase a warranty like a TAP from CompUSA to cover this, but that is another $60.

Dec 9, 2002 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 16
[link=http://www.americas.creative.com/products/product.asp?product=368&category=287&maincategory= 10]JB3 replacement batteries[/link]

Williamgoody,
Sorry about my misinformation. I've only spent about an hour playing around with an I-Pod and the songs were pre-loaded so that could have been the problem. As far as sound goes, its hard to explain. I brought in my headphones to try it out and I just seemed to like the JB3 more. The JB3 seemed less distorted at high levels. The bass just seemed more responsive and, granted, the JB3 has terrible EQ features but the player seems just fine on normal mode for me. I listen to mainly hard rock and used a friend's pair of Etymotics ER4Ps. Also, keep in mind, my files are at 192 bitrate while I have no clue what the preloaded songs were at so that is also a reason for differences. So granted my test was a little unfair.

I use the home kit and hook it up to my receiver for parties, and having a remote is simply amazing.

Dec 9, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #10 of 16
Good news.

A wired remote has been released for both the NJB3 and the Zen

It can catch FM signals and the quality is quite good from what I heard at the store. And now for the chocolate on the cake
tongue.gif

The wired remote is capable of making FM recordings but the limit is 10 mins and its a WAV file at leats thats what I saw on the Zen.

So after ten mins you gotta do record again for the next song ... darn
frown.gif
I wish it was mp3 at selectable bitrates (might be but I didnt have much time to explore) Wav files will kill the storage.

Another thing the wired remote can do is do voice recordings ... its got a built in microphone.

Dec 9, 2002 at 6:50 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
The ipod also sounds fabo;ous, but I prefer the sound of the older ipods to the newer ones.

william, just a side note. You've mentioned this in several threads, but in each one, one or more people have responded that given the same firmware version, they've heard no difference between the older and newer units. (For the record, neither have I
wink.gif
) I think it's possible that your two units aren't representative, since the general consensus (even on the iPod boards) is that they old and new units sound the same
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2002 at 12:35 PM Post #13 of 16
Macdef:

Yep, you could be right. This could be the case. But also again (I've mentioned this in other threads as well), the "locking after 37 minutes" and battery drain" issues weren't conducive of all units either. Many people have also stated a lack of bass with an Ipod compared to a NJB3.

Of course it's all subjective. I don't think they weren't really representative either, and really don't plan to "do further research" to prove it. But I'm happy with the posibility that it just might be the case.

Dec 9, 2002 at 4:35 PM Post #14 of 16
I agree, williamgoody... there does seem to be a lot of inconsistency in terms of people's experiences -- at least with early versions of each model.

Dec 9, 2002 at 5:28 PM Post #15 of 16
Thanks for all the info & opinions, everyone. I think I'm going to end up getting an iPod. I'm sure the Zen is a great little piece of hardware, and I'm sure I'd be happy with it, but ... I know if I got the Zen, deep down I'd be wishing I had an iPod.
smily_headphones1.gif

I figure it's better to indulge now than end up with a Zen AND an iPod.

I'm thinking I may purchase some Etymotics 4P's as well. Sheesh... that's a lotta money! Ah well. It'll be worth it, I think.

- Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back