Another ipod/amp question AKA How do I improve the soud of my Ipod
Apr 9, 2005 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

fl00r

100+ Head-Fier
I know this must be very frustrating for you, but I have another ipod-amp question:

I have a 3 gen ipod in combination with EP-4P’s. I am very happy with the result especially on 224 AAC files.

I just wandering if an portable amp will improve my satisfaction?

Thank you!

Apr 9, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 16
not to any noticeable effect.

once, out of curiousity, i tried connected my xtra to my headsave classic then to my er4p - volume sensitivity aside, no noticeable differences in sound.

Apr 9, 2005 at 3:46 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
not to any noticeable effect.

once, out of curiousity, i tried connected my xtra to my headsave classic then to my er4p - volume sensitivity aside, no noticeable differences in sound.

So, that's a don't?

Apr 9, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 16
Maybe, but if you add a 'S' adapter (or use a SuperMacro with impedance switch).
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 9, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 16
I disagree. I love the sound of my amp, because my amp crossfeeds the two channels, making the soundstage less awkward. I have observed that I can listen for much longer periods of time with the amp than without. If I'm not mistaken, this is one of the main reasons headphone amps exist.

Apr 9, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 16
So,
very_evil_smiley.gif
is a yes?

Apr 9, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazychimp132
I disagree. I love the sound of my amp, because my amp crossfeeds the two channels, making the soundstage less awkward. I have observed that I can listen for much longer periods of time with the amp than without. If I'm not mistaken, this is one of the main reasons headphone amps exist.

In which way do they improve the sound? And, is it substantial considering the price?

Apr 9, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #8 of 16
Well the quality of the amp and price/performance worth is debateble, but I think the SR-71 and SuperMacro make a very nice addition to the iPod-Etys pairing. Really though the ER4S (or ER4P with S adapter - included in some SM units) shows a more obvious difference. I don't know if I would bother amping an ER4P, but to be honest I've only listen to the ER4P a couple times with an amp. I almost always have the adapter with me when amping.

Apr 9, 2005 at 4:16 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Well the quality of the amp and price/performance worth is debateble, but I think the SR-71 and SuperMacro make a very nice addition to the iPod-Etys pairing. Really though the ER4S (or ER4P with S adapter - included in some SM units) shows a more obvious difference. I don't know if I would bother amping an ER4P, but to be honest I've only listen to the ER4P a couple times with an amp. I almost always have the adapter with me when amping.

I don't want to go above a butget of $200. Is this reasonable or is it a wast of money?

Apr 9, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #10 of 16
I claim no real sound quality or detail improvements with my amp. Perhaps they are there, but if so they are subtle and I have not yet tried to notice them. The improvement for me is in the soundstage. By crossfeeding the two channels slightly, the music sounds like it is all right inside my head. It sounds much more natural than without the amp.

Apr 9, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #11 of 16
frankly, i dont get it - i dont see how adding an amp will help things in any way UNLESS your portable player has a line out or has difficulties powering your headphone properly. or if you, like the previous poster, desire crossfeed or whatever miscellaneous third-party signal processing.

in other words, i dont see how getting a good amplifier to faithfully further amplify the already sub-par amplified signal from your portable player can help anything. to repeat a common head-fi saying: crap in, crap out.

Apr 9, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

frankly, i dont get it - i dont see how adding an amp will help things in any way UNLESS your portable player has a line out or has difficulties powering your headphone properly. or if you, like the previous poster, desire crossfeed or whatever miscellaneous third-party signal processing.

in other words, i dont see how getting a good amplifier to faithfully further amplify the already sub-par amplified signal from your portable player can help anything. to repeat a common head-fi saying: crap in, crap out.

Well, that gives another dimension to this treat: is it really necessary to add an amp to an Ipod?

Apr 9, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fl00r
Well, that gives another dimension to this treat: is it really necessary to add an amp to an Ipod?

The answer to that is 'no', it's rarely necessary. The iPods headphone out is actually pretty powerful for a DAP, but I'm (and I guessing others) are assuming you'll use a Sik or PocketDock for the the line out thus bypassing the headphone amplification (though digital EQ still plays a part).

Apr 9, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

This is a fairly clear explanation of why having an amp that crossfeeds can be beneficial. You are right, it is less faithful to the signal, but in most cases, the signal is not actually meant to be heard through headphones. So I could just as easily say that listening through headphones at all is not faithful.

Apr 9, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #15 of 16
I use an amp only when I am using my good cans (HD-590s) with my iPod. But even then, there is very little difference amped out of the headphone jack. The only reason to get an amp that I see is to be able to use a Pocket Dock and have access to the cleaner sounding line out.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back