Another Introduction and Recommendation Thread :-)
Aug 29, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #31 of 33
Quote:
Hi folks, an update. I may have a chance to sample a Beyer DT 880 (not sure of the Ohm version). Would this headphone possibly work for my needs? It appears to be a semi-open headphone.  The reviews sound terrific in both sound quality and comfort. The only possible concern is it may have some sibilance? Is this correct, and if so can the highs be tempered either via burn-in, EQ, or amp selection?

Reading all of the differences between the DT880 and DT990, as well as their Ohm versions has me fairly confused at this point. So any advice or experience is welcome. I haven't decided on a Beyer, but if I get the chance to listen to them and enjoy them I like the idea of buying something I *know* I'll like instead of taking the risk on something that may or may not be better.

I was in your situation few months ago as a htf600 user, first I was so confused, I had to contact MalVeauX for some advise.. thanks to him I choose MA900 over hd598 and many. I can tell you I'm more than happy with my MA900 atm.. and I was considering dt880 and 990 too. but since they have stronger clamping force and slightly fatiguing highs MA900 was my choice.. few weeks ago I auditioned dt990,880,598 so I can easily recommend MA900 for you too.. X1 is also a great choice with slightly better lows ( ma900's mid range better and more forward than X1) but X1's earpads are not exchangeable..

here is a comparison between ma900 vs dt880. I m sure you ll appreciate ma900 more since you are also sensitive to harsh sibilance just like me.. ( specially in female voices)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/666324/beyerdinamic-dt880-vs-sony-mdr-ma900-two-nights-impressions

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #32 of 33
Quote:

I was in your situation few months ago as a htf600 user, first I was so confused, I had to contact MalVeauX for some advise.. thanks to him I choose MA900 over hd598 and many. I can tell you I'm more than happy with my MA900 atm.. and I was considering dt880 and 990 too. but since they have stronger clamping force and slightly fatiguing highs MA900 was my choice.. few weeks ago I auditioned dt990,880,598 so I can easily recommend MA900 for you too.. X1 is also a great choice with slightly better lows ( ma900's mid range better and more forward than X1) but X1's earpads are not exchangeable..

here is a comparison between ma900 vs dt880. I m sure you ll appreciate ma900 more since you are also sensitive to harsh sibilance just like me.. ( specially in female voices)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/666324/beyerdinamic-dt880-vs-sony-mdr-ma900-two-nights-impressions

Good read, I will say the Beyer [250 pro and 600 pre] models are picky with their amps, over the Sony which has a lower ohm [MUCH lower 12 :O]

Also... DAMN 70mm driver in that Ma900... might be why it has that nicer bass. Got more METAL slammin it at you. Still though I like my Beyer cans, I own the Dt 990 and 880 and I love em, I find Beyers to also be a tad tougher than every other Sony I've ever owned [cheap and expensive alike] still I'm not sensitive to treble sibilance, as I like the extra bit of treble [I'm not hearing impaired either -.-] 

Still both are good options, but I'd say if your goring out of a phone or a small DAP, the Sony Ma 900 [looking JUST as the specs] should work a tad better without out an amp.

Still for vocals, I've yet to find an open can that has the sweet sexy sound of my closed Wooden w1000x :D [I have modded it to be very tight and punchy] That woody resonnace is just magical 

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #33 of 33
I am now using the Ultimate Ears 500. Til now I am quite pleased with its sound quality. One thing I would pick on is that the bass is a bit strong, and some times muffles in drum beats, and it isnt comfortable to wear it for a long time. Maybe its because of my small ears My friend is willing to sell his Shure SE215 less than $50, and that he only used it once, and wasn't pleased with the fitting.  there seem to be a lot of positive feedback about the se215. Then I came across the UE600 and the westone um1 in a second-hand exchange site, both are very new, don't think the owner used it more than 10 times, and were selling at less than $50. I am now have three choices, the Shure se215, the Ultimate Ears 600 and the Westone ts1. I listen to beatles, jazz, green day, simple plan, Eric clapton, and elton john. I would prefer a balanced earphone, but should have a deep bass. which one should I choose?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back