Another IEM Recommendation
Dec 13, 2009 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Nestor

100+ Head-Fier
I can't believe I'm making one of these threads.

A good friend of mine, who is a fan of IEMs, asked me for help in finding some new ones. So here I am, to ply the infinite wisdom of Head-Fi for your advice. I actually have done some digging using the search bar, and found several "recommend me some headphones" threads. Unfortunately, most other people around here seem to set their limits at around $100. My friend, however, is the starving student type, and has his price limit set firmly at $70.

I've considered several options, includind V-Moda Vibes and Klipsch S4's (I actually found a pair of these recently, quite literally). I'm sure there's plenty I'm missing, though, so all comments and suggestions are welcome.

Note on headphone requirements -
- Favorite Genres - Post-Hardcore, Alt. Rock, some Pop
- Source is a 6g iPod Classic, unamped, all 192k AAC
- Previous phones were Sony EX71 and EX90
- Durability is an issue, so the more rugged the better
- Willing to spend absolutely no more than $70

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 8
If durability is an issue and cost is important, you may want to look at the Maximo Im-590 and Meelectroncis Ai-M6. They aren't too far behind the S4 in terms of sound but are significantly cheaper and have nicer cabling.

Dec 14, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If durability is an issue and cost is important, you may want to look at the Maximo Im-590 and Meelectroncis Ai-M6. They aren't too far behind the S4 in terms of sound but are significantly cheaper and have nicer cabling.

The Ai-M6 looks worth considering, thanks. Also, I only say that durability is an issue because these will effectively be my friends only headphones until they break - and he tends to run through IEM's on a yearly basis.

Dec 14, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 8
Question for anyone who's heard both - would the M6 compare favorably to the Sony EX90?

Dec 14, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far the klipcsh s4 has my vote for the best sound for the $ up to $200.00 out of eveything I tried from Best Buy, AT&T, and the Apple store.

Dec 14, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by djphatp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far the klipcsh s4 has my vote for the best sound for the $ up to $200.00 out of eveything I tried from Best Buy, AT&T, and the Apple store.

Uh oh.. AT&T + IEMs can only equal bad things
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back