Another IE security hole
Jun 30, 2004 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 19
I'd rather people just move away from IE. It is a dinosaur and people need to stop using the excuse "well, it's there so I use it." Anyone who attempts to write standards-compliant web pages are being held back and can't even fully use standards implemented 6 years ago because of IE's poor compliance and outdatedness. I can't stand trying to make pages IE compliant due to its lack of full CSS1 support and lacking state of CSS2 support. And that dinosaur is also riddled with security holes since it is really just a hack-job on the old NCSA Mosaic browser. The best fix for IE is just plain to stop using it.

Firefox and Opera are far superior alternatives to IE. Both have lots of browsing enhancements and privacy features that IE will never get until Longhorn arrives and both can be used for free, although the latter does display an ad.

Jun 30, 2004 at 3:19 PM Post #6 of 19
I agree, but until MS fully seperates the browser from the OS everyone who runs windows also runs IE.
(regardless of what they use as a HTML reader)
We could go back to 95 (no letter) and install firefox there.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 30, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 19
Yeah, we all do use IE if we use Windows 95 OSR 2.5 or above. The actual shell is built on IE. But I was reffering to using IE as an actual web browser. It works fine as a local file browser, but is a pretty lousy web browser for something called Internet Explorer
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bootman
Try spywareblaster.

yep I agree with that one.
Also run spybot , it literally checks for every single thing that might involve ActiveX execution or threads. unless you permit it, it doesn't let them happen.
spyware blaster and spyware guard are very useful tools.

Jul 1, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bootman
We could go back to 95 (no letter) and install firefox there.
rolleyes.gif

I actually do have a Windows 95 (OSR2) machine sitting right next to me that has Firefox on it. It took about a half hour of tracking down DLLs to get FF running but it now has modern HTML rendering capabilities, although it is very slow (due to the the PIII 450 CPU & 128 megs of RAM compared to the AthlonXP 2800+ and 512 megs I have in my mian system)

Jul 1, 2004 at 12:46 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
I actually do have a Windows 95 (OSR2) machine sitting right next to me that has Firefox on it. It took about a half hour of tracking down DLLs to get FF running but it now has modern HTML rendering capabilities, although it is very slow (due to the the PIII 450 CPU & 128 megs of RAM compared to the AthlonXP 2800+ and 512 megs I have in my mian system)

A perfect machine for Linux! (yeah, sorry...the actual reason I joined this board was to secretly advocate Linux use
wink.gif
)
Anyway, 450 MHZ and 128 MB ram would suffice (although a memory upgrade might give an enormous performace boost, truly, memory is one of the most important things in a computer...and you can never have enough of it!
tongue.gif
). Good starters distro's would be Fedora, SuSE or Mandrake.

You might give it a shot, what would you've got to lose? Or you could just ignore this penguin-lover...whatever thy wishes.
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar

Very slow?! My old Celeron 500 with 192MB of RAM and Windows 2000 actually was pretty darn fast with Phoenix (which got renamed to Firebird and then Firefox) and I honestly can't tell too much of a difference for web browsing with my Athlon XP 2500+ and 512MB of RAM with Windows XP Pro. For other things, of course, my upgraded system is better but for everyday stuff not too much is different from the old Celeron system.

Jul 1, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith
I'd rather people just move away from IE. It is a dinosaur and people need to stop using the excuse "well, it's there so I use it."

Hey, I am trying but if they are offering import wizards to make it easier for those of us to shake the IE habit, then they should at least make it so they work. I installed Firefox 0.9.1 today, but the import wizard keeps crashing the Firefox browser, and I can't transfer any of my IE settings. I did use Opera but wasn't that happy with it. I liked Mozilla but I kept losing icons off my toolbars, and some links would just disappear. Security may suck in IE, but at least it is stable. I really hope I can get Firefox to work because it looks like a really cool browser.

Jul 1, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #14 of 19
Spaceman,

Did you try installing the latest http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html Java Runtime Environement for desktops? It may work. It cut my startup time from 10 seconds to 2 seconds.

The only problems I have had with Open apps. has been with Thunderbird where it doesn't import Outlook .pst files. Other than that Firefox has been very fast. I keep IE around only for doing Updates.

It helps if you first export your favourites from IE and then do an import into Firefox. Give it a real name like 063004ie and not the generic bookmark filename.

And to be really honest, Firefox doesn't have 100% compatibility with all sites. If you download any software from McAfee you will have to startup Active-X in IE; it will not be allowed under Firefox. If I go to a website and it says that I have to install plugins and there is no 'bypass' button available I just don't bother anymore with that site. To me they are turning away business. If I have to turn on Active-X to view a game website ... no thank you. I also am amazed that some websites ask for personal information and do not have httpS: links.

Jul 1, 2004 at 3:06 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceman
Hey, I am trying but if they are offering import wizards to make it easier for those of us to shake the IE habit, then they should at least make it so they work. I installed Firefox 0.9.1 today, but the import wizard keeps crashing the Firefox browser, and I can't transfer any of my IE settings. I did use Opera but wasn't that happy with it. I liked Mozilla but I kept losing icons off my toolbars, and some links would just disappear. Security may suck in IE, but at least it is stable. I really hope I can get Firefox to work because it looks like a really cool browser.

That sucks that your having problems getting it to work for you. I haven't use IE in ages (okay, maybe for Windows Update but not real browsing) and have no experience with the import wizard in Firefox at all. If you haven't setup anything in Firefox yet I would recommend deleting its profile directory which is under C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Application Data\Firefox. That might help it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back