Another Hurricane??!!
Sep 9, 2004 at 8:02 AM Post #16 of 42
UK weather world has a very lively discussion on Hurricane Ivan going on. Check it out...

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/foru...4954&start=256

biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #17 of 42
At pro-weather.com, I am focusing on Mike's tracking/projection maps (25 lines).

There's a change happening. In 7 lines, Ivan is shifting to the right and missing FL. Interesting! These "hard right turns" were not there yesterday! I mean, the Bahamas did not have a single line. Today they do.

Every day, the shift to the right keeps happening. Two days ago, the western tip of Cuba was on Ivan's path. Now it is not. The same goes for Jamaica. If there's another shift to the right, Ivan's eye will not go over Jamaica.

These are not my predictions. I am just talking about Mike's tracking/projection map.

Sep 9, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #23 of 42
Gariver - I was reading one of the forums that you listed. Those guys insist that this one is a mean beast and will stay a mean beast. One dude even said that he didnt expect it to make landfall in the Ft. Lauderdale / South Beach or east coast at all...he thinks it will curve into the Sarasota, St.Petersburg, Tampa area or straighten up into the Pensacola area.

If it is gonna make landfall in Tampa, St Pete then I am in deep sh1t. I have the bike ready for pickup and will pick it up today. My monitor is on hold someplace...dunno why. Dont want it to come here until Ivan has passed.

Sep 9, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #24 of 42
It's too early to tell. Those guys are speculating a bit! That's OK, though! You can get some ideas from the "ifs" involved.

Remember, the 3-Day tracking/projected path is the one to watch. The two days added for the 5-Day are just speculation (which is sometimes helpful).

Hope this helps! Good luck to you!

Sep 12, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #28 of 42
Yupp. Two days ago, there were maybe 50 pages in the thread, now they are over 80 and counting, FAST.

Good stuff, and very interesting read! Thanks for the link!
wink.gif

Sep 12, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #29 of 42
Thank you Jeff. Pro-Weather is really fantastic! Rik Wessels is indeed a Master Hurricane Tracker.

At first, Pro-Weather.com might seem little bit too technical. However, anyone can easily understand statements such as this one: "Hurricane Ivan is tracking west. It will miss Florida's West Coast."

The Herbert Box

I just did a cut and paste of The Herbert Box, an area of great importance for the people of Florida. Read it. Then write the info down on a card. It might help you in the future. Here it is...

HERBERT BOX - A region of the North Atlantic Ocean to the northeast of Puerto Rico formed by the imaginary latitude and longitude lines. Historically, an alarmingly high percentage of westward moving hurricanes moving through this "box" have struck either Florida, the Gulf of Mexico region, or the lower US East Coast. The (in)famous Labor Day hurricane of 1935, hurricane Andrew of 1992, and the Great Miami Hurricane of 1926 all passed through the HERBERT BOX.

BTW, in 2004, Frances passed throught The Herbert Box.

I got that quote from Sky-Chaser.com. It's the only place on the net where The Herbert Box is mentioned and explained. Wow! Kind of rare!
http://www.sky-chaser.com/schpri.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back