Another hobby to replace audio?
Jan 10, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #46 of 71
The OP has not replied since 18, and hasn't been here since 19... might be safe to say he found something else...

But honestly, I do not get how stamp collecting is going to do for me what music does for me. Not even close. Nothing can transport me the way music can.

Obviously, if music is a"hobby", well hell, there are tons more. I myself have been involved in many hobbies, that I truly loved. But at the core of them all... I am a gear whore. I love gear, all of it, any of it. I was big into reef tanks and I was much much more into the life support system that I was the inhabitants. So ya, if "music" is a gear hobby for you... sure, many more gear hobbies.

But me... I am just now returning to audio. Not that I had good gear before, but I definitely got away from listening to music. Now... wow, what a trip. Just the enjoyment of searching and finding new music, listening to old stuff like never before... glad I am back!

Oh... and yes, I definitely need more gear.... but the music is fantastic. :)

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #47 of 71
It's really hard to do a hobby when I don't have much time. But I want to tell you that I have a hobby that is heavily technical. Not so long ago I saw on the website how to make various collateral. And you know I liked it so much. That I decided to do the same thing. And started a little bit of learning https://qarea.com/industries/ecommerce . I liked it so much. So, I am still engaged in web-development. And this is my hobby.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #49 of 71
It's really hard to do a hobby when I don't have much time. But I want to tell you that I have a hobby that is heavily technical. Not so long ago I saw on the website how to make various collateral. And you know I liked it so much. That I decided to do the same thing. And started a little bit of learning. I liked it so much. So, I am still engaged in web-development. And this is my hobby.
I hope you and yours are safe in Kyiv. Our emotions are shattered watching the news.

Feb 27, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #50 of 71
In my opinion one of the best hobbies is jazz guitar

One reason is because it’s so cheap. You don’t need an expensive amp nor an expensive guitar and you don’t need much effects pedals. It’s generally cheaper than rock guitar.

Instead of buying excessive gear, you are collecting songs and there are so many ways to play the same song differently. Plus there are so many jazz songs. Possibilities are endless with music variations.

Plus, it’s low volume music so you don’t have to worry about hearing damage.

The downside is that it’s difficult to learn but playing it on a beginner level is still enjoyable and challenging in an interesting way.

Another downside is that learning guitar as an adult is almost impossible for most people but if you already started as a child, it’s easier.
I switched from being a poor guitar player to being a pretty good Ukelele player :) Much easier to learn the four string chords! I have even mastered a few Jazz chords.

Feb 27, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #52 of 71
I'm late into this thread; new member. A new hobby that is as capable of keeping you poor and acquiring lots of toys, learning to play a musical instrument. Guitar is especially good for this. GAS = guitar acquiring syndrome or gear acquiring syndrome. In fact, many chase that elusive tone. There are lots of YouTube videos of crazy/large collections various people have.

If you do learn to play, it is possible to make some money by performing. Not many can do that in this hobby.

Mar 1, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #54 of 71
You can also consider swimming. It's just what I enjoy doing naturally.
You know that brings up a good point. I feel some style of physical activity makes the passive action of music listening so much better. I love going to the gym!

Cheers!

Apr 11, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #57 of 71
Hi everyone.

I've always loved music and hifi audio. unfortunately a few months ago I had an amplifier accident and I've been left with tinnitus and hearing problems. I've tried to get back into headphones since then but it makes things worse and I've had to give up the hobby.

I was wondering if anyone had any other hobbies they are as passionate about? Giving up audio had left an emptiness in my heart and mind, and I'm struglling to find another hobby which is as relaxing and effortless yet stimulating and involving.
Holy crap, this is very disheartening to hear, I always worried about this for myself also.

Apr 12, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #58 of 71
Guns. Another big hole to throw money in. But what a wonderful, smile-inducing hole it is!

Apr 13, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #60 of 71
I'm ashamed to say I have too. :tired_face:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back