Another HF-1 Woody!!!
Nov 27, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #31 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4
That inner bevel was really difficult to do because I was doing it after the whole middle had been drilled out, so there wasn't a lot of material left to hold on to. And what's left isn't very strong. I thought about using a router or drum sander, but was worried what could happen with any major vibration, so instead I did it by hand. If I were to do it again, I would probably do that bevel with a router before drilling out the part that mounts to the driver housing. That would've been a stronger piece to work with, with less chance of catostrophic failure! But the hand-tooled look isn't as obvious in person, and adds a little bit of character.

Thats basically what I had to do with my dremel and drum sander.... just grind it down to shape. That was the only way i could get the final dimensions, without crushing the thin-walled parts.

IMHO this is the biggest advantage to running the grain on axis the way you did. You have less tooling chatter since youre not really going aginst the grain on any part around its perimeter.

Nice PICS!!!

Garrett

Nov 27, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #32 of 69
it might be the choice of mohogany (which matches so well i could hardly tell a difference) that i thnk this is the best woody job for grados i've ever seen.

I really dig the quality of everyone elses woodwork, yet contrasting woods just seems modded whole this job seems to look as good as stock cans.

great work bro.

Nov 27, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #33 of 69
These may be stupid questions so I ask for forgiveness in advance.

Does the sound really change much when the HF-1 headphones are woodied?

Do people just woody their HF-1 to make it look nicer?

I can understand if you woodied the HF-1 and did the work yourself since it would be cheap but why would anyone want to buy a HF-1 woodied and pay a high price when they could almost buy the RS-1 headphones for the same price which I would assume would have so much better sound and be a better quality headphone?

Thanks
Allan

Nov 27, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #34 of 69
Looks very good, I've asked my friends dad about woody'ing my SR-60, so will see where that goes
biggrin.gif

John actually uses New Hampshire Mahogony on the phones, represent
tongue.gif

Nov 27, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #36 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by allan-of-ca
Does the sound really change much when the HF-1 headphones are woodied?
Do people just woody their HF-1 to make it look nicer?
I can understand if you woodied the HF-1 and did the work yourself since it would be cheap but why would anyone want to buy a HF-1 woodied and pay a high price when they could almost buy the RS-1 headphones for the same price which I would assume would have so much better sound and be a better quality headphone?

Well, I was going to post up on my revised sonic impressions anyway, so now seems as good a time to answer.

The sound of the woodied HF-1's is definitely different than the stock ones. I had a chance to sit down with Nate's stock HF-1's and my modded ones. There's definitely more bass extension and seems to be more bass detail as well. The treble has smoothed out considerably, and while they definitely don't have any less detail, there seems to be a little less treble "sparkle." They are definitely a little easier to listen to. And the mid-range is fuller with more body. I find the biggest difference in male and female vocals, and thick walls of heavy, distorted guitar. So I would have to say I'm very pleased with the changes made.

That said, would I have paid $250 to have it done? To be honest, I don't know. I enjoy the stock HF-1 sound, and probably would've been hesitant to spend any money to change things. But keep in mind the RS-1 is a $700 headphone, so even woodied, the HF-1 + Woody from Headphile is only up to the cost of the RS-2. And the RS-2 definitely has a different signature than the HF-1. So it's all about preference at that point. And doing it myself made it a no-brainer.

So, now Nate's HF-1's have been woodied, too. Christmas came early for HF-1 #8!!! I'm sure he'll be chiming in with impressions and pictures... he took a ton!

Nov 27, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #37 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4
So, now Nate's HF-1's have been woodied, too. Christmas came early for HF-1 #8!!! I'm sure he'll be chiming in with impressions and pictures... he took a ton!

And away we go!

Stock
52834573.jpg

Goal
52834574.jpg

Custom turned end piece
52834569.jpg

Removing the endcaps
52834565.jpg

Screens out
52834566.jpg

Mockup of final screen position
52834567.jpg

Done!
52834568.jpg

I've been listening to them while I wrote this post and tweaked the 50 or so images that I took while we did this. They sound fantastic - even more well rounded than before, which is good in my book. I notice most of the change on the low end which has both more detail and impact. The highs are more smooth to my ear which I also like. All in all, I'm freakin' psyched! Thanks Ian!

Nate

Nov 27, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #39 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
Wow, 2 in a row! Larry's got some competition.
evil_smiley.gif

I assure you that he does not. Ian made one pair for himself and one for me as a Christmas gift. They took around 8hrs to build and another hour + to assemble so Larry's price is a ridiculously good deal. Plus, I think I can speak for Ian in saying that he's got plenty to do w/o making custom wood headphones
biggrin.gif

Nate

Nov 27, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #40 of 69
WOW You guys rock!! I'd love to compare mine with an OEM one some day.

Anyways heres #88 again... so you can compare the different types of wood and grain directions.

dscn63964ah.jpg

dscn63970rp.jpg

Nov 27, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #41 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
I assure you that he does not. Ian made one pair for himself and one for me as a Christmas gift. They took around 8hrs to build and another hour + to assemble so Larry's price is a rediculously good deal. Plus, I think I can speak for Ian in saying that he's got plenty to do w/o making custom wood headphones
biggrin.gif

Nate

Not only that but I love the glossy finish that larry puts on his wood creations. No offense to the work you guys have done in this thread.

Nov 27, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #42 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
Not only that but I love the glossy finish that larry puts on his wood creations. No offense to the work you guys have done in this thread.

IMHO the glass finish of Larrys is one of the things that really separate his work from a DIY junkies handiwork.

I was thinking about sanding sealer and nitrocellulose lacquer for mine... wet sand to a gloss-finish. But I was worried the water from wet sanding would ruin the wood.

Maybe some day I'll try it out

Garrett

Nov 28, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #43 of 69
Not to take anything away from Larry's work, but I actually prefer a more natural finish for wood, here and in most woodworking... Satin poly is as glossy as I go for on furniture. But right now I'd say the cups could use another couple of coats of tung oil... what's on there has sucked right in. I don't know if I dare add more with the drivers inside, or if I'll end up pulling them apart again. But I'll update w/ more pics after getting them another couple of coats.

Nov 28, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #44 of 69
I absolutely agree with you, en480c4, that the natural finish looks much better in this case and that it goes really well with the rest of the woodwork on HF-1. I also find it more practical - you don't have to care about fingerprints
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back