Another "help me pick some new headphones" thread
Dec 1, 2009 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

qoouep

Head-Fier
I am currently using the iPod's stock headphones, and want to get something better. NONE of my music is lossless, probably 192kbps MP3 average. I usually run my iPod's line out through the Logitech Z-2300 (yes, I know). I listen mostly to a wide range of electronic music (from jungle to chiptune to chillout), but I also listen to classical and other genres occasionally. So they should be good all-around, but especially good with bass.

They should be comfortable to wear for quite some time. I do take care of my stuff, but do occasionally fall asleep with headphones on.

I will use the headphones with the iPod directly on occasion. I will use them only at home, which is usually pretty quiet.

I don't have a huge preference for type, but from what I've read on the site, open headphones would be my best option. (right?)

I am no audiophile or expert (as you can probably tell from the content of this post), but I would like to have better sound than what I am currently getting.

Price range is $75-$200 (which is the absolute upper price limit), though I am really looking more for $100-$150.

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #2 of 7
Alessandro MS1 is worth a look, a superb phone for $100.

Some will say they only do rock well, but I listen to anything and everything on them; it's the clarity and punch that makes them good. Not overly bassy, but good quality, natural, tight bass. good phones don't overdo bass, they're more about balance.

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #3 of 7
Hey look it's another more bass headphone shopper.

I agree with Drubbing on the MS1. They are typically a smoother version of Grados which would be great for your electronica, but not amazing for classical. The MS1 will sound nearly as good on the electronic music, but will make the classical tolerable. Trying to find a headphone that will do both classical and electronic music justice is nearly impossible.

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trying to find a headphone that will do both classical and electronic music justice is nearly impossible.

Fair enough. Just out of curiosity, did you mean within my price range, or in general?

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by qoouep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fair enough. Just out of curiosity, did you mean within my price range, or in general?

At any price range, no joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back