Another "help me choose" thread
Jan 9, 2006 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

johan851

100+ Head-Fier
I've been reading around here for a good couple of weeks now, and sort of started getting into this with the purchase of some Sennheiser HD-201's. I've never been into headphones (at all) but I have a decent ear and a good bang-for-my-buck speakers/reciever setup. The HD-201 sounds fairly similar to what I already have, and I like the idea behind the sound, but they still sound like there are a couple of sheets of cardboard between my ears and the music. They also make my ears ache and give me a little bit of a headache after listening for more than half an hour or so. Anyone know why? For the price they're great, but I'd like to get something that sounds awesome.

Here's what I'm looking for:

- bang for my buck
- good all around performance, but great performance for what I mostly listen to (classical, jazz, soundtrack-type stuff, and some rock/alternative)
- comfort
- decent un-amped performance (I'll use these with a laptop on occasion, but usually out of my receiver...Yamaha RX-V393)

I have an upper limit of about $200, but the more I can go below that the better. I know, I know...I'm sorry about my wallet too.

I've heard a lot of recommendations for the SR-60's, but they seem a little hit-and-miss in terms of how much people like them. They also don't sound like the best choice for "not rock," and I like the relaxed sound my HD-201's have, which I hear is pretty different from the "Grado sound." I think I'd get pretty tired from the way I hear people describe them. Still, I'm up for suggestions.

I'm mostly looking at the HD-555, HD-595, and HD-580. It seems like the 595 is the best of the three, but is it really $70 better than the 555? Would it be worth it to me in the long run? I'd like to get something good and then just stop, and it seems like the 555 would be limiting in that regard...I'd always want the 595 later. I've heard of lots of 580 love, but I've also heard the 595's sound closer and a little more alive. So...I'm confused. I kinda want to be in the music. I'm a trumpet player, so I know a fair amount about how a stage should sound - what's best for me?

FYI, my source is a Chaintech AV-710 soundcard connected to a Yamaha RX-V393 reciever. I don't know how good the headphone jack is on this guy. I try to rip CD's either in .flac or .mpc Q8...quality is important to me.

Sorry about such a long post. Please bear with me and throw all kinds of ideas and suggestions my way. I'm ready to listen, and I make purchases pretty carefully - I'm not opposed to reading and looking up things for hours to make the best choice.

Jan 9, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 8
Looks like you've done your homework and have a pretty good idea of what you want. I only have experience with the HD595, and based on what you've written, it's a good match for you.

Take advantage of the 30 day return policy offered by both Headroom and TTVJ. Or buy used and you can resell the headphone if you don't like it for minimal loss.

Jan 9, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 8
Kinda seems like no one here wants to get rid of 595's though...and Headroom is kinda expensive. Are there any other good online sites, or is ebay an ok option? How easy is it to mess up stuff like this? As in..."I screwed it up so now I'll sell it on ebay."

Jan 9, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by johan851
Kinda seems like no one here wants to get rid of 595's though...and Headroom is kinda expensive. Are there any other good online sites, or is ebay an ok option? How easy is it to mess up stuff like this? As in..."I screwed it up so now I'll sell it on ebay."

Johan... my experience is with the 555. It is a very good headphone - does well on all music. It was a little too laid back (or slow) for me but may fit the bill. My point? From your point of view and needs it or the 595 should like great choices. Re: costs - Amazon had this great sale during Christmas - $199.00 for 595 (w/ free shipping) and $119 for 555 (w/ free shipping). The sale got even better - they had a coupon for 5% off. I am sure the sale will return - just got to keep your eyes out for it.

Enjoy!!

Jan 9, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #6 of 8
I'd actually not recommend most high end cans be used out of a receiver, if you value accuracy (and I can tell by what you say that you do). The high output impedance at the jack generally results in a bloated sound.

IMO you should invest in an amp, even an entry level portable amp like the Go-Vibe or PA2V2 (with appropriate adapter for the line-out jacks of whatever source you're using). Then think about headphones after you do that, or at the same time. Even if you end up getting lesser cans after adding the price of an amp, I think you will enjoy whatever you get more with one.

Jan 9, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by johan851

There's seem to be a lot of HD595 love going around lately, especially among the new members. If you posted a few days earlier, you could have listened to mine but I don't have them anymore.

I originally bought my HD595 off of ebay. I think I paid around $175 for NIB. I just checked ebay and the prices aren't good. As long as you buy from a reputable seller and minimize your risks, I don't see anything inherently wrong with buying from ebay. But seeing that the ebay prices are not different from Headroom and TTVJ, I'd go with one of the Head-Fi sponsors to take advantage of their return policy in case you don't like the purchase.

Jan 9, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for all the input - this is great.

I've considered purchasing an amp, but I'd rather buy good stuff from the start rather than "settle" for the HD-555's and an amp, then sell the phones for better phones to better match the amp...etc. I'll probably buy one in the future, but I'd like to read more about them before I buy one now.

Amazon.com - here's something.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...585545-9561711
$189. I don't have any experience with Amazon, but that site seems pretty legit - 10.00 on resellerratings and 99% on Amazon's ratings. Good buy?

*edit* Are those the 120ohm version? And don't I want the 50ohm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back