Another "help me choose a DAC!" thread!
Jun 28, 2010 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Cutshaw

New Head-Fier
I've been reading about dedicated external DACs for a few weeks and I don't seem to be getting anywhere in regard to which one I should get. Budget is in the HRT MSII, V-DAC range but I can stretch a bit higher for something special. I'm going to be using it with my 702s, SR80s and Neco Soundlab portable V2 amp(hoping to get something more desky in the future) and would also like to run it into my stereo amp and speakers with lossless coming from my PC with an Auzentech Prelude.

There are so many out there and I'm a bit overloaded with info. I've been trying to narrow things down. I don't need anything with an amp in it, I would like to be able to have the DAC feeding my stereo and headphone amp, but without unplugging and switching between the two(I will put up with this if I have to, bang for buck SQ is my priority). I would obviously like a dramatic increase in SQ from my Prelude(this might be a cake and eating it scenario?).

My options so far seem to be..

Nuforce Udac(I don't need the amp in it, but it's priced really well and is popular)
MF V-Dac (I really like what I'm reading about this)
HRT Music Streamer II(asynchronous USB seems to get talked up a lot)
Beresford TC-7520 (could have it running into both amps, but it's pushing my budget and I don't need a headphone amp in it)

Should I be considering any other DACs and will these be a big jump from my sound card? If push came to shove I think I could push my budget into the £200/$300 area, but it would be a real stretch. Something sold in the UK would be a real bonus, but not a hard and fast requirement.

I hope someone can help me sort this mess out.

Jun 29, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 9
Any ideas at all?

Maybe the post lacks direction and I'm asking for too much work from people I would like to reply? If anyone could give me some hints to try and make this question more to the point?

Jun 29, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #3 of 9
Nuforce Udac: Considering the price, not terrible, but you could do better. It's built for size, not quality IMO.
MF V-Dac: Was considering this one myself. Measures OK, but you'll still find the Xonar Essence ST measures better.
HRT Music Streamer II: I'm sorry I haven't read much about this piece.
Beresford TC-7520: Terrible measurements. The owner pays people to write positive reviews etc. Avoid.

In this price range, I'd put my money on the Xonar Essence ST being better than all of them though.

EDIT: Well, if you're not using a PC, that suggestion doesn't really work. Does it?

Jun 29, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the input and I will be using the PC. My plan is to rip all of my music into lossless and play it from the pc into my amps. Are you saying that none of these mentioned so far will give me a huge jump in sound quality from my Auzentech card? I've maybe been too busy trying to work out which DAC I need when I should have been working out if the DACs were going to be any better.

Jun 29, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #6 of 9
It's the prelude 7.1 with the stock opamps.

This should probably be in the computer audio section. I'm not doing very well
confused_face.gif

Thanks for the help, Cid

Could a mod  delete this thread, please?

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Beresford TC-7520: Terrible measurements. The owner pays people to write positive reviews etc. Avoid.

EDIT: Well, if you're not using a PC, that suggestion doesn't really work. Does it?

Just read your comments.
Supply proof, or its libel.

Please take this request seriously...its being treated as a serious matter.
Thanks..

Jun 30, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Just read your comments.
Supply proof, or its libel.

Please take this request seriously...its being treated as a serious matter.
Thanks..

Mr. Beresford has had many shilling accounts banned, too. I bet he got smart and started using proxies and less obvious "personalities".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back