Another HELP me choose a DAC thread
Oct 11, 2006 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

spraggih

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a Micro-DAC and want to try something different - only thing is I do not know if I will notice the difference so buying used may not work for me.

But if I were to buy used... based on all of the positive feedback here I would buy the Bel Canto2.

Here are the DACs I am considering:
  1. Pacific Valve DACs (March --> DAC 60)
  2. Bel Canto 2
  3. X-DAC 3

I do not need a portable or even transportable DAC. And my absolute limit is $650 - so the X-DAC 3 looks promising but it seems I would need to add the power supply unit and that pushes it out of range. But who knows?

Any key considerations on these DACs? Has anyone gone from plugged in Micro-DAC to the above and not noticed a key difference in SQ?

Also my key cans would be the Sony CD3000 - although I might be tempted to keep my K701s if these DACs bring them to life! My 701s do not have the speed, timing I like although they excel the CD3000 in guitar and openness.

Thanks!!

Oct 11, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #2 of 5
What about the Pacific Valve DAC-AH HA? It looks very good and it is very new, afaik nobody on head-fi owns one yet. I just ordered one a few days ago. We need more people to buy and test it:
http://pacificvalve.us/LTDACAHHA.html
I emaild pacific valve and confirmed, the DAC-AH HA does not suffer from the circuit error that the recent DAC-AH's have.

Oct 11, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks - I have been considering NOS lately because ... um... *scratches his head*... finds no particular reason ... *looks up site via link provided*... reviews DAC ... *wonders if he should add to to his list*

Hey, what is this circuit error thing?
Also what other DACs have you owned to compare the DAC AH HA to?

Oct 13, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 5
I think you can get a used Adcom GDA-700 for around $350 these days.

Nelson Pass output stage. Same DAC(PCM 1702 20 bit balanced) and filter chips (HDCD) as the Levinson 36. Balanced jacks too. Sounded better than Meridian or Theta under $2k.

Of course, no upsampling but best bang for the buck when I picked mine up new in 98. Has worked flawlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back