ANOTHER headphone advice thread - FREE CANDY
Feb 6, 2017 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

billbishere

500+ Head-Fier
Hello Friends, I must imagine these types of threads are asinine to those of you who are frequent posters.  I have been on several different forums over the years.  Anyway... I REALLLLLY hope you can help me out.  I have been a lurker here for awhile and managed to build a small setup.  

My current setup is:

ATH-AD700x
SPH-9500s
Fiio 10k
Bravo V2 with Electro Harmonix tube upgrade.

I am pretty happy with my overall sound but, i want MORE!  I have a $300 - 400 budget to upgrade my cans.  I do like the sound of my Audio Technicas they really aren't bad, the soundstage on them is something I want to carry over to the new set of whatever I get.  My 9500's I am not really impressed with, some would say they sound better than my 700s but I am not one of those people.  They sound MUCH fuller to me than the 9500's...but I digress.  

I would just like a upgrade to the current overall presentation of sound as I like the sound my setup is outputting for the amount of money I have invested in it.   I just need it delivered to my ears better if that makes any sense.  

tl;dr - need new cans
$300 - $400 budget
have considered   -----  HD600 and 650, HE400i and s, DT800 and 900, AKG712

not afraid of bass

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 3
First off, if you are looking for expansive soundstage, you probably don't want a 650/600. Both have fairly intimate stages. Great headphones, just not big stages. The K712 has an expansive stage. But of those you list, the ones I would personally probably steer you to are the 400i and the 400S. The S is more portable and doesn't require an amp. It has more prominent mid bass and less prominent sub bass than the 400i. You can play it straight out of a phone or DAP. Both have reasonable soundstages. They would be clear upgrades from your 700s. The DT990 is pretty bright, so if you are sensitive to treble, you might do better with something else. The DT880 is more neutral. I would add to your list the X2, which is bassy but very good. Lots to think about. --)

Feb 7, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #3 of 3
Very Cool - thank you for the thoughtful response. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back