Another HD650 replacement cable question...hardwire or not?
Dec 1, 2007 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JimP

500+ Head-Fier
I recently acquired a HD580 hardwired to a 4 pin male XLR adaptor with a pigtail to 2x3 pin XLR balanced out. These sound great direct out of my DAC1 balanced (and also a mini-DAC). I can always get another pigtail to run single-ended if I want.

I want to do same for my HD650. Question is:

Is hardwired option the best? or should I retain the original Senn pins into the earcups? Not sure if there's any sonic benefit in practice, but it seems more robust for daily use to hardwire. Any input from others that went through this process, thanks

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 7
... if you're one of those people who are able to perceive an audible benefit from the difference between the minor resistance caused by the standard pin/plug connection vs. a soldered connection, then I say solder it because it will by all means lower the resistance of the connection. I know my ears arn't that good to hear that though.....

resistance like that, (caused by plugged connections) starts to make a difference when you have fast amp draw and you need every electron.

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #3 of 7
Playing in the lab, the difference in resistance/inductance/capacitance between soldered connections and most attachment/plug-like connections is negligible. I would only hardwire if you see a benefit in durability and have no intention of changing the cable.

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 7
you should keep your options open, don't hard wire.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back