Another happy newbie!
Jan 30, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #3 of 5
Jan 30, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 5
Welcome!!! :beyersmile:

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks!

I am a long time devoted piano student and after spending a good amount on a really nice electronic piano (no room or budget for a real piano), my piano teacher suggested using high res headphones.

So my kids chipped in and got me Fostex TH900 (used) headphones for my 50th Birthday.

My fiancé read a review somewhere and scored a used Fostex HP A8C amp.

None of us are audiophile savvy.

What a revelation! It was absolutely mind blowing hearing so much detail (dynamics?) from my electronic piano when I am playing!!! Most of the details really revealed areas I needed to work on. Switching back to my Bose QC 30 headphones almost made the keyboard sound like a toy in comparison!! Especially after experimenting with the multitude of instrument voices (Strings, brass, woodwinds, synths).

I then brought my TH900 to a friend’s house to listen to some music on his system. Another jaw dropping experience!

This is what "accidentally" sparked my interest in HiFi audio equipment.

After doing some research, it seemed a waste not investing in a decent player to more fully enjoy this "partial" setup as I currently only use them to hear myself practice on my keyboard.

After purchasing a DAP (AK 70 MKII) I noticed it has a 2.5 mm balanced output jack.

Does it make sense to get a 1/4" to balanced 2.5 mm adapter if they even exist? Does the added channel separation really add to the sound quality?

If so, why wouldn't Fostex ship their high end headphones with balanced cable ends?

Also, any recommendations regarding power strips/cords and conditioners?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back