Another (great?) player from Philips
Jan 15, 2004 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Alexx

New Head-Fier
Philips has just announced (on the last CES, I think) it's new DVD player, that will (apparently) replace famous 963SA. Here it comes, guys: Philips DVD975SA!

dvd975sa.jpg

Here some info:

The DVD975SA preserves the exquisite difference between a Stradivarius and a mere fiddle. It plays SACD, DVD, Video CD, CD-R and CD-RW. This Multi-channel Super Audio CD redefines high sound resolution with its Dual Laser Pick-up, built-in DSD, AC-3, MPEG2 Decoder (5.1 Output) w/ Coaxial and Digital Output. Its 5-disc Resume feature allows viewers to pick-up where they left off on their 5 most recently viewed DVD titles. The SACD has a twin power supply. In addition, it has Composite, S-Video and Component Video Connections.

720P or 1080i High Definition Output

216Mhz/12 bit video up sampling

HDMI Connection (!)

DVDi by Faroudja with FL1200 chip

2.8 mhz CD up sampling (!!)

24bit/192khz audio DAC

Dolby Digital/DTS

Muliti-channel SACD with advanced Bass management

Auto direct mode

Digital Photo and Music manger

MP-3 DVD-video, CD,VCD,SVCD,CD-R,CD-RW

New Advanced GUI

MSRP seems to be $569

The link is here

Now look closer at the line "2.8 mhz CD up sampling". I've heard someone saying that this feature is only found in $5000+ players. Can anyone explain me, is it really so and why this feature is so imporant?

It seems like we'll have a new killer player this spring!

Jan 15, 2004 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 5
The "2.8 Mhz upsampling" refers to the sony/phillips PWM (Pulse wave modulation) based DSD (Direct stream digital) technology, where instead of sampling at a 24 bit resolution with 192 Khz frequency, it actually samples at a 1-bit resolution, 2.8 million times /second. The problem is that unless the primary encoding (at the time of CD-mastering) is PWM, it entails a conversion of the usual PCM (Pulse code modulation) based encoding into PWM and then (for a digital output) back to the PCM. Few players are available with a direct PWM/DSD digital output and they are usually expensive.
As far as the advantages of upsampling DSD, theoretically, the increased sample frequency is supposed to help redbook sound cleaner. IMHO, a stable platter, good mechano-electrical isolation and decent cables with a good redbook player could sound as good. Endless debate has raged on about the advantages of PWM/DSD over the conventional PCM based sampling with equally strong proponents of both. There are those that say that at higher frequencies (>15Khz according to some, >5Khz according to others) DSD's signal:noise is poorer than PCM.
I don't know. I use a DSD player and I love it.

Jan 16, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #4 of 5
I saw this and was not digging it at all. The display looks nice but it has a very goofy remote and the slim chassis will surely look out of place my system. I am trying to get one to audition but I gotta say I think they took a step in the wrong direction. Just to think, two years ago Philips was building the SACD1000. I do understand that they have another high-end player coming that will answer the critics,such as myself,imploring them to build a really good player again.

Jan 16, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 5
Tuberoller wrote:

Quote:

I do understand that they have another high-end player coming that will answer the critics,such as myself,imploring them to build a really good player again.

\

Do you have any additional information that you can pass along? I'm thinking of purchasing a DVD963SA and having it modded by Matt Anker of SACDmods. Supposedly, he had a modded one at the CES. Too bad Philips doesn't sell the 963/ 975 in audio only format, either "as is" for less money or "improved" for the same amount. I'm assuming the player you are referring to will be audio only and probably be in excess of $1,000?

Dino

Users who are viewing this thread

Back