Another Great Deal on Amazon MP3 (ECM RARUM Box Set)
Apr 12, 2008 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Pangaea

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=large]Another Great Deal on Amazon MP3 (ECM RARUM Box Set)[/size]

Just stumbled across this while browsing for some new ECM selections. The entire ECM Rarum box set (Vol. 9-20) which retails for about $150 in CD form is selling for 18 bucks as a MP3 download. Great chance to audition the best from a majority of ECM's line up (Metheny, Holland, DeJohnette, Motian & others).

Quite a steal when compared to Amazon's $142.49 CD Price...

Amazon.com: ECM Rarum Box IX - XX: MP3 Downloads: Egberto Gismonti

b.gif

Apr 13, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 28
Much thanks for the heads up. Does the "another" in the title refer to a different sale?

Apr 13, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Much thanks for the heads up. Does the "another" in the title refer to a different sale?

Awhile back I found a really good deal on a Talking Heads album. It was like 2 bucks.

Apr 13, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 28
I'm curious if anyone else who bought this is thinking of re-tagging them.

At the very least, the album artist shouldn't be "Egberto Gismonti" and it seems to make more sense to tag them as individual albums than a 12 disc single album. e.g. album of "ECM Rarum Volume IX" instead of disc 1 of "ECM Rarum Box IX-XX"

It's interesting that they tagged the artist on each track so specifically (e.g. Pat Metheny on some and Pat Metheny Group on others). I haven't decided if that's good or bad.

This is my first mp3 purchase from Amazon, so I'm not sure how good they are at tagging files in general. This one isn't a simple case, so I'm not surprised it has a couple of issues.

No matter what, tagging is easy to fix and the music is great quality and price.

Apr 13, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #8 of 28
That is exactly what I did, and I generally tweak most of the tagging even if its direct from CD. I basically labeled each disc with the broad title of the Box Set and then added the disc number ie [Disc 1] and then the actual artist. So in the end I had 12 seperate discs within the Box. Anal yes, but I guess that is why we are all here.

Apr 13, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #9 of 28
That really is a great deal. But I'm a bit worried that the sound quality might not be as good. For me, one of the reasons to buy ECM in the first place is because of the great sound quality. How is the sound quality of these downloads?

Apr 13, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #10 of 28
Its not going to be as good as the CD, but I am continually impressed with how Amazon encodes its MP3. It is far superior to iTunes plus and on a portable player I cannot tell the difference between the Amazon tracks and lossless.

Apr 13, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is exactly what I did, and I generally tweak most of the tagging even if its direct from CD. I basically labeled each disc with the broad title of the Box Set and then added the disc number ie [Disc 1] and then the actual artist. So in the end I had 12 seperate discs within the Box. Anal yes, but I guess that is why we are all here.

Huh, all my tracks tagged "properly" w/out me needing to do anything --> actual artist -->track title --> Box Set title --> disc # (x of 12)... I am on OS X using iTunes.

Apr 13, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #13 of 28
^ yes but right click on info and you will see the album artist for the entire box set is labeled Egberto Gismonti. But for the most part they did a good job with the tagging. Mostly what I tweaked was just for my own personal organizing.

Apr 13, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ yes but right click on info and you will see the album artist for the entire box set is labeled Egberto Gismonti. But for the most part they did a good job with the tagging. Mostly what I tweaked was just for my own personal organizing.

Ohh, gotcha..

Apr 13, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #15 of 28
I've been refusing to buy downloaded music unless it's lossless, but I made an exception for this set because of the prices. Just downloaded it and have listened to only a few tracks so far. ... There seem to be a lot of different styles represented. I'm not familiar with many of the artists, but have liked much of what I've heard. I'm entralled with the the tacks by Gateway. Most groovin' fusion I've heard in a while, especially "How's Never". Killer bass line, sharp drumming, and great guitar work over it all.

The sound quality seems good. I've been listening on speakers, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back