another firstwatt f2 build log
Apr 15, 2007 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

gates_2

500+ Head-Fier
Just wanted to copy hugz (jk) and start a thread for my f2 clone...

(big thanks to hugz for the layout and answering my questions)

Most of the parts are here, just waiting on the heatsink, transformer, and some aluminum angle to do the heatsinking.

So far, I've completed the powersupply, and most of the left channel(left the mosfets out for now to see how I'll mount them on the sink)

Pics:

PS:

mpstopcf4.jpg

Bottom:

mpsbottomdw0.jpg

Left Channel:

leftchanneltopql5.jpg

Bottom:

leftchanelbottomhc2.jpg

I realize that the wiring isn't the neatest, but I accidentally got the vector board that didn't have the copper on it.. so it made this a bit more difficult.. and this is my first non-pcb project besides a cmoy... let's hope it all works

Apr 17, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 20
crap- so i ordered a 18-0-18 trafo, the same one hugz got....but i'm afriad it is designed for 240V applications only.....i'm getting 9 volts on each rail

Can't I just wire them in series, instead of in parallel? but then, I'll only have 18V on 1 rail.... and the firstwatt needs the 2 supplies

...Crap

Suggestions? Can I just use one bridge and run two wires to the supply board? that will be 24V split(is this gonna drop the voltage?)

Apr 17, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 20
for the secondary, how should I connect them to double the voltage?

Apr 24, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 20
p1010015au4.jpg

Both channels working- Pretty suprised that it didn't blow up when i first turned it on.

So i ended up using heat grease all over where the angle and heatsink connect, and then using JB weld around the edges- overall, turned out very well, and it is very firmly attached

How does it sound? I'm pretty happy, although right now i only have bose speakers to put em through(just in case something bad happens :wink: ) I'm too scared to hook up my K1000's just yet, as I'd like to run a couple of cycles and make sure everything is thermally sound... The sinks do get pretty hot

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #5 of 20
awesome!

assuming the bose speakers have more than one driver, it wont amplify them properly (to sound good)

the real test is in the akg

Apr 29, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #6 of 20
OMG

Finally got around to building an IC, and was thus able to hook up the k1000's. Current driven amps + K1000 = AWESOME synergy!

I'm really blown away here...its great!

So...it is a hot mother, though. One of the mosfets runs around 80-84 C under load after a while, with the other running in teh 70's

Heatsinks are around 60 C, and the 1 ohm resistors run around 60C as well

Keep in mind this isn't cased, in open air, so although boxing it up wouldn't be good, i think nice 4mm thick front, back, and bottom panels + a mesh top will help

Apr 30, 2007 at 8:13 AM Post #7 of 20
woot glad to hear it!

now all i need is k1000
frown.gif

May 1, 2007 at 11:53 AM Post #8 of 20
i really dont understand why this amp doesn't get more attention from the k1000 DIYers

or maybe there's just not enough of them to make a splash..?

May 1, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #9 of 20
perhaps... but for the approx. $450 i've spent so far, I'd be VERY impressed to find anything that comes close!

May 1, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #10 of 20
Congrats Gates_2!!

Nice when a somewhat complex project works right off the bat.

Nothing wrong with making one of the best amps for the K-1000 for under $1K - I will prolly make one someday.

May 1, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #11 of 20
Nice, now all you need to do is provide us with some detailed comparative reviews of this F2 against other K1000 amps - first and foremost it's natural contender, the F1.
k1000smile.gif

I am planning to build my own F2 for my recently purchased K1000, but not before next year
frown.gif
. Anyway, hugz' comment about the lacking bass kind of put me off. How's the bass, gates_2, how's the BASS?

May 1, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #12 of 20
oh man- I love the bass. It's deep and very very resolving!

I've never been a bass head, nor do I think the k1000's are bass monsters, but the viceral impact is definately here... It blows my k501's out of the water.

May 2, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Quichotte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice, now all you need to do is provide us with some detailed comparative reviews of this F2 against other K1000 amps - first and foremost it's natural contender, the F1.
k1000smile.gif

I am planning to build my own F2 for my recently purchased K1000, but not before next year
frown.gif
. Anyway, hugz' comment about the lacking bass kind of put me off. How's the bass, gates_2, how's the BASS?

haha if i said anything about a lack of bass, you have to take into account my speakers. they're naturally severly lacking in low bass

the firstwatt is supposed to be particuarely strong in the bass because of the control that it has over the drivers. if you want an amp with good bass, it would probably be a good place to look

i was just a little bit bummed that it wasn't sufficient to overcome the design of my speakers. a subwoofer will though
evil_smiley.gif

May 2, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Quichotte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great then!

Gates_2, can I have your parts list?
(somehow, it sounds like a vicious proposal, doesn't it?
evil_smiley.gif
)

Thanks!

my parts list is in my build log (see signature). From his photos, it looks as though gates_2 used the exact same parts (right down to the brand of the resistors :p). However, at least a few small changes will need to be made which gates_2 will be able to assist you with

1. I messed up a few of the caps on my parts list. I think i mention which ones in my build log, but if not you can ask me or gates_2
2. The transformer I mention in my build log is for 240v (australia) not 120v (usa) so you'll need a slightly different one. you want one with the same output power, but with 120v input. Again, gates_2 will be able to assist.

Gates_2, could you please drop me a PM (or post here) on any difficulties you had following the build log, and any parts that I messed up or need to be changed for USA usage. It'd be nice to be able to clear up the guide and you'd be a great help for me! thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back