Another excellent JVC earphone...
Mar 6, 2007 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

cmirza

1000+ Head-Fier
dsc00023xo2.jpg

I haven't heard any talk of these on Head-Fi before, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on them. JVC HA-F130. They're the new version of the 'Gummy' line of JVC (as you can read here) which interestingly are the #1 selling earphones in the US. I'd been curious about the old 'Gummy' earphones, but the white cord that all colors sported turned me off. The other day I stumbled upon these with a black cord for $8 after a 20% sale, so I picked them up an olive black pair on a whim.

My first impression after opening them up and plugging them in was they seem to have alot of the flavor of the 'Marshmallow' earphones. A nice balanced sound that is on the warm side, but not overbearing anywhere on the spectrum. Again, not the most detailed earphone, but quite enjoyable. I'm curious if they share drivers with the Marshmallows but I cant find an independence rating for them or anyother clue.

As nice as the Gummies, the Marshmallows trump them slightly. First since the Marshmallows sit deeper in the ear, they provide better isolation and clarity than the Gummies do. If I press the Gummies deeper in my ear the clarity improves, but the way they sit naturally in my ear causes them to sound muddier than Marshmallows. Compared to other earbuds that I've heard (MX400, MX51, EP630, EX71 & iBuds) I find the Gummies far more enjoyable due to their balanced frequency spectrum and superior clarity. I'm sure Yuin PK1/PK2 would blow the Gummies away, but for alot more money.

I think these make excellent earphone for wearing outdoors where you want a bit of leakage in order to be aware of your surroundings. Plus they're so cheap that you don't have to worry about loosing or damaging them. The Gummies will be my 'throw around' headphones that I use for exercise and using around campus, if I loose or break them, I'll just get another pair for $10. I guess Gummy phones are #1 for a reason, they good, cheap and plentiful.

dsc00024dl4.jpg

The gummies also come in peppermint blue, olive black, valencia orange, kiwi green, peach pink, grape violet, berry blue and coconut white, something for all tastes..

dsc00026ol0.jpg

Cheap JVC earphones FTW!

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 26
Thanks, I will have to try these out. For $10 What, if I don't like them then my daughter will. Where did you get them at?

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 26
I'm also very interested in where you purchased them-- I'd love to get a couple pairs in black like the ones you have in your pics.

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I found them in Fred Meyer, a local superstore chain (think WalMart). I haven't seen them anywhere else since they've just been released.

Hmmm, nothing at Circuit City, Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Etronics, B&H... probably too new at this point and nobody has these on their websites. I also didn't see anything at CC or BB when I was there this weekend. Darn, I'd like to get ahold of a pair of these!

Mar 6, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #7 of 26
Fry's electronics carry gummys, maybe this is a old picture (white cord)?

4624138.big.jpg

Mar 6, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any mod ideas to fix the bass Kramer?

Hmm... what do you find lacking about it?

Mar 6, 2007 at 9:02 AM Post #12 of 26
Well I hope version 2 is better than the first version I bought (the ones shown on Satan on a Stick's post).

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade but the original gummy's were and have been the worst headphone purchase I've ever made.

Got a mini-review of the orginial Gummys here.

Mar 6, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #14 of 26
I haven't tried them, but my daughter just bought a pair of the pink "peach" gummies and she loves them ("They smell good too!"). She tried the JVC "marshmallows", but they wouldn't fit in her ears. For $10 they are better than ibuds she got with her shuffle... and they smell "LOTS" better...

->Aro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back